PDA

View Full Version : no vin number

BGGB
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
hey all,i shouild have asked this question months ago but im finaly gettign around to it. so i have a 109 that i bought 2 years ago, the body is well intacts just in need of a new galv frame:thumb-up:. problem is it didn't come with a vin number plate. i wouild have no problem taking a vin number off another 109 but i think the dot frowns upon it. is there a legal way to get around this problem...Thanks in advance GLenn ps i live in pa if that matters.

disco2hse
08-04-2010, 09:17 PM
hey all,i shouild have asked this question months ago but im finaly gettign around to it. so i have a 109 that i bought 2 years ago, the body is well intacts just in need of a new galv frame:thumb-up:. problem is it didn't come with a vin number plate. i wouild have no problem taking a vin number off another 109 but i think the dot frowns upon it. is there a legal way to get around this problem...Thanks in advance GLenn ps i live in pa if that matters.

You should be able to get the original VIN number with the engine and chassis numbers. Gaydon Heritage Museum (http://archive.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/exhibitions_lr_legacy.html), for a small fee, can provide you with the history and other information about your vehicle.

They ought to be able to provide a replacement VIN too, although you might someone else has already done what you said you were going to do, pinching another VIN plate. Bad practice all-round.

Tim Smith
08-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I bet rules will also be different according to where you are. I registered a Sankey trailer here in CT not too long ago and the DMV wouldn't accept the VIN number I gave them. All I needed to was get a VIN check. This involved me bringing it for inspection by an officer. Both he and I combed over the trailer and decided to use one of the numbers found on a plate. I don't think it's really the VIN number but being that it was so old, the officer didn't really care all that much. Now it's official or at least until it gets sold out of state.

Not sure what would have happened if it was a car but the impression I got was that the CT DMV didn't really care if the vehicle was older than 20 years. YMMV.

Rineheitzgabot
08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
I am assuming that you looked for the VIN on the horns of the frame. If not, check there. If you find a number, you can buy a VIN placard from Pangolin 4X4. If you do this, you can just have it stamped with the correct VIN.

Even if you can't find the number on the frame horn, you can do what someone suggested above, and get it through records. Once you get the original VIN, then buy a VIN placard and get it stamped. This is in keeping with the spirit of honesty and originality.

Hope this helps.
Gary

BGGB
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
thanks all for the response...i was hoping for a legal way to do it:thumb-up: ill go out right now and see if i can find it on the horn..IIRC the horns are rotted out though

disco2hse
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
ill go out right now and see if i can find it on the horn..IIRC the horns are rotted out though

Hmmmm now there's a dilemma. :o :D

I Leak Oil
08-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Why doesn't it have a VIN plate? Be careful using the original if you can find it. Perhaps someone else is using it on a coiler "conversion". I have a plate from an 88" you could have for nostalgia purposes. Of course, what you do with it is your business.;)

disco2hse
08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Why doesn't it have a VIN plate? Be careful using the original if you can find it. Perhaps someone else is using it on a coiler "conversion". I have a plate from an 88" you could have for nostalgia purposes. Of course, what you do with it is your business.;)

Yeah I thought the same thing. Or it may have been written off, stolen, etc.

Skookumchuck
01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
My 109's VIN plate is loose in the glove box as it was removed after the frame off restoration. The frame is a new Galvy so it doesn't have a VIN number on it. I am not sure that the plate in the 109 is the origional as the truck was a diesel pick up then converted to a 5 door wagon with a 2.25 gas motor which I am now replacing with a 200TDI. Should be fun when I import it to the US and go to register it.

Partsman
01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Your chassis(VIN) number should be here on your front dumbiron: 7671