PDA

View Full Version : New RN Xenon conversion

sandt
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I would love to convert my '04 Disco to Xenon, but I'm a bit put off by the "off road use only" disclaimer. I'm wondering if anyone has installed these and if they are too bright/not focused tight enough to be used in situations where there would be other on-coming vehicles???

jac04
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Unless the headlight was designed for a HID bulb, then the results of the conversion will be less than ideal, and perhaps downright dangerous. Sure, you will be throwing out lots of light, but the beam pattern won't be good at all. Even if it looks good to you, there will be considerable pattern scatter. Don't believe any marketing that attempts to justify the HID conversion by stating that the light source will be in exactly the same spot as the original halogen bulb. It just doesn't work.

Think about it. It is a dark, rainy night and the little old lady coming at you is 'dazzled' by your illegal HID retrofit. She runs off the road / hits you / hits someone else. The first thing she says to the police is "I was blinded by his headlights". You can figure out what happens from there.

If you really want HIDs, do it as correctly as possible. Check into having your headlights retrofitted with bi-xenon modules by someplace like http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php. They are known for doing great work. Technically, they may not be legal, but at least you will have a proper beam pattern.