PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Range Rover?

CliftonRover
04-05-2007, 01:27 AM
I have an 89 Range rover classic that I have made into a rather capable off roader, but the fear of flooding out my 3.9 and ruining the ECU makes me want to convert to a diesel. I thought the 2.8L powerstroke would be great but its very expensive. I have seen an Izuzu 2.8L conversion too but its to un rover. A GM 6.2 or 6.5L V8 diesel would be cheap but its really heavy, and not all that effiecient. I would like to find a used 200 or 300 Tdi that I could buy an adaptor for to attach to my v8 auto tranny. does a rover turbo diesel have the power to push a range rover on 35" tires? or is the Izuzu the better option. Many conpanies are switching to that instead of the 2.8 powerstroke. Are there any other options?

CliftonRover
04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
i found out a 200Tdi has enough power to push a big rangie, but would I be able to register the truck, 89 RRC, with the diesel?

J!m
04-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I think you would be able to, but the best thing to do is go down to Motor Vehicles and ask someone- and GET THE ANSWER IN WRITING!!!

Basically, tell the story that it needs an engine replacement, and you want to go to diesel for the fuel savings, and see how they take it. I'm sure this is becoming a more and more popular request at this time with fuel costs above $3.00 and climbing steadily...

If they allow it, your registration will have to be changed to show the fuel type as diesel when you're done.

phoenix
07-03-2007, 07:26 PM
mercedes benz 300 td 5cyl found in many benz wagons and sedans, it mates to zf auto tranny and as it states, turbo diesel.