PDA

View Full Version : 4-Wheel Drive

Bootlover101
04-07-2007, 07:43 AM
I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 1, SD model. How come my 4-wheel drive light on the insterment cluster (dash board) isn't working. It wont come on no matter if I'm in high or low on the Diff-loc side or the right, normal driving side. I know the 4-wheel drive is working, the front end is getting power. Is it that the light is burned out, or is there a switch thats not working in conjunction with the transfercase lever?

Buddy
04-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Is it that the light is burned out, or is there a switch thats not working in conjunction with the transfercase lever?

Could be either of those or that the Diff lock is not actually engaging. Before pulling the switch or the bulb I would make sure that the diff lock is actually working.

The light should light up any time your diff lock is engaged (pushed to the drivers side) regardless of high or low status. The way I would check this is to jack up one tire only (Make sure to bock the wheels so it won't roll). Then put the transmision into neutral and try and spin just the one wheel. If the Diff lock is engaged it should not turn. You can also test this by disengaging the diff lock and making sure the wheel will turn. If all that works check your switch first it should be located on the transfer case and have two wires connected to it. It might just be that the switch needs adjusting.