PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover question

fishhunt22
04-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Hello,
I'm looking to buy an old Series III 109 or an Old 1970's to 1980's Range Rover classic. I just want a fun off road truck to bring around the woods and go to and from work which is about 10 miles from my house. I love to mess around with cars. I can't do engine work. I do mostly body work. I have a few questions. Which one should I really look for? Which is more expensive to fix? Are parts more money on one than the other? Diesel or gas? Which one will cost me more in repairs and give me the most head aches? Can I ride a Series on the Highway? Which one rust more?
Any information would be great.
Mike
miketraeger@earthlink.net

CliftonRover
04-17-2007, 11:14 AM
The range rovers have more parts, and the engine's seem to need more looking after. I would recoment a series truck if you can find one with a good frame. series vehicles have very little wiring, less steel, and in my opinion more fun to own. I have three series and two RRC's. Finding a series that was restored with a galvy frame, however long ago would be I deal. Otherwise the cheaper route is ging to be a rangie beacuse you most likely won't need to do a full rebuild. I would stay away from the 2.25L diesels, but the 2.25l gas motors are very simple and extremely strong.
-rangie's have more articulation, but a series with parabolics is pretty close.
-rangie's have more power, but get less gass milage and the all aluminum v8 have more places to go wrong, especially over heating.
-if work is only 10 miles away a series is the way to go, you rally have to love series trucks to drive them for long periods on the highway.

CliftonRover
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
the range rover will cost more to repare.