PDA

View Full Version : Waxoyl por-15 or Paint

Billy5
08-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Hello again, since you guys really helped me alot through my electrical issue, I thought I would run some options by you. My 2a is virtually rust free, and I would like to keep it that way. I live in the North East so we use salt on the roads, and I have salt air. So, I am debating on the coating options. Waxoyl: I have never used this stuff. My thoughts are using this for the bulhead, doors, all the little nooks around the body as this comes in an aerosol can. But I see two different products, which is the right one to use? The frame: Here I have a big debate. Do I use the waxoyl in the inside of the frame ( through the drains to coat inside), and then either clean and use chassis black paint on the outside, or do I waxoyl the whole frame, or use por 15? What i dont want is globs of goop covering the details of the frame( I am a painter by trade) If the body was off, I know exactly what I would use but since its not, I am woking around it. Any thoughts?

kwd509
08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
If the body was off......
What would you use?

I'm going to use por15 on frame and bulkhead, and likely waxoyl inside frame

Billy5
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
If the body was off, I would strip it down to bare metal. Then I would use products from Alexseal. This is a marine paint made by Mankiewicz. It is made in Germany. I use this all the time when I am painting boats. Cor Spec metal primer first ( contains chromate not zinc chromate but another version). Then I would chassis black. I am going to use this on the underside tub, wheel openings. I have used this on masts and see no signs of degradation yet after years of harsh salt water environments. But since the body is on, i have to work around it. So I do believe my program is this: Cor Spec the underside and wheel wells, the bulkhead with a touch up gun. Aerosol Waxoyl the inside of the frame, doors and nooks around bulkhead. Then por 15 frame.

disco2hse
08-18-2011, 08:54 PM
If the body is on then I would use Waxoyl. The stuff can be sprayed over anything and will form a relatively impervious layer against most damaging chemicals and oxidisation. A water blast if you have mud or other grime will help but is not really necessary.

The downside is it likes to burn when you have to use a gas torch or welder.