PDA

View Full Version : First month with my series

Billy5
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Well it has been a month since I got my series 2a bugeye home. Thought I would share a few things. I have to say that i love it. Just like everyone said I would. I survived the electrical puzzle, now I am really familiar with it ( as I laugh). Thanks to everyone! I also would comment on the fj40/rover debate. I had a 40, loved it too. But, I will say with confidence, that by far, the landy is my favorite. More spartan, easier to work on ( the whole interior comes apart..what can be easier), parts are cheaper ( as a whole), and easier to find. I also love the fact that most of them, were left alone, no v8 conversions etc.. All in all, I found exactly what I was looking for. Now if i can only stop people from saying nice Jeep...

Ncrover725
08-13-2011, 11:35 PM
That's so awesome to hear. I pick up my first series on Monday. It's a 1971 IIa LWB. Congrats again!

Winemark
08-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Doesn't the "Nice Jeep" comment make you cringe?

I Leak Oil
08-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Just wait. When you go to the parts store the counter monkey will continue to look it up under Toyota despite telling him it's not, several, several times...You have some interesting times ahead, enjoy them!

Billy5
08-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I actually dont get the nice jeep stuff. It doesnt even look like a jeep, I have never seen a jeep with the spare tire on the hood. It says Land Rover on the front and back...it does make me cringe. Anyone can have a jeep. NCrover: you will love it. I was going to go for a 109, but found the bugeye. For the price paid, in the condition its in, I couldn't pass. I will say get all the manuals you can find ( the big green "bible" is mandatory), the correct wiring diagram ( my electrical puzzle was the result of the PO wiring not the trucks. Also, some of the wires are covered in cloth with the colors, once the cloth is gone, some of the wires are all black therefore confusing me). Dont buy the British bs you may get from your buddies. I got it, and they were all proved wrong. There is tons and tons of info, parts, and support ( alot more than the 40 scene). Rovers North is fantastic by the way. I have no desire to go to the parts store for anything. But, I am lucky in that a good friend manages a NAPA, and seen my truck so if I have to, he will know. All my parts will come from here ( where available). My next project(s) is replacing the ball joints ( original, paid their dues), oil pan, and transmission cover gaskets, then corrosion proofing the underside,frame, and bulkhead. Never a dull moment, but this is my daily driver so if I take care of it, then it will take care of me.

Partsman
08-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Just wait. When you go to the parts store the counter monkey will continue to look it up under Toyota despite telling him it's not, several, several times...You have some interesting times ahead, enjoy them!

You gotta love that, I tell them when they say that, that if it were a Toyota from 1965, I'd be carrying it around in a bag, as it would've rusted away years ago.

73series88
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I hate the nice jeep thing. I saw a disco al kitted out brush bar rack everything. And it was definitely used gear so it wasn't a posser truck. I walked over after pumping my gas and said nice rover. Guy looked up at me with my series right behind me and the guy nodded and looked away
at least he didn't say nice jeep

Rat Patrol
08-29-2011, 09:51 AM
That's so awesome to hear. I pick up my first series on Monday. It's a 1971 IIa LWB. Congrats again!

Glad to see I'm not the only one in the area with a Series LR...CONGRATS!!