PDA

View Full Version : TIRES for Discovery II

MattC
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Hello,

I am looking to replace all of the 5 tires on my 2001 Discovery II SD. I am also going to replace my wheels with 7" X 16" steel black wheels. A friend suggested the BF Goodrich Commercial A/T Traction 235/85/r16 as a slightly taller and narrower tire than the 255/65 R16 that I have now. I am looking for a slightly aggressive looking tire that will do well all-season and not be deafening or otherwise bad when I am on hte highway. It has also been suggested to me that these 10 ply tires are overkill and I should look at the Cooper Discoverer or Nokian tires. Any suggestions? I do, do some offroading, but nothing too serious, and I do tow a 24' foot boat a few times a year and make many trips skiing up north in New England. Any advice would be great!

Thanks, Matt C

discohero
04-25-2007, 03:21 PM
If you replace the 16x7 wheels you have now with a wider wheel, say the 16x8 stock alloys you will not be able to mount the 235/85/16 tires because the rim will be too wide. Just wanted to let you know that before you start doing all your tire shopping.

MattC
04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks a lot. I bought 16x7 steel wheels and chose the Toyo Open Country tire. I wanted a taller, narrower looking tire and so I chose the 225/75 R16. Do you see any problems? I have the 2" Old Man Emu lift shocks and springs here with the tires and wheels, but haven't started the installs.

Anyone have any comments regarding the Toyo vs. BFG tires?

RangeRover1
05-18-2007, 01:58 AM
I always ran BFG Mud Terrains and the suckers never seem to wear out. I have the same problem with my D2 - the damn 18" wheels that came with the vehicle aren't worth diddly because nobody makes mud tires for em. So I'm gonna have to do two things to get it where I want it. First get a mild lift via OME coils and shocks, and second switch to 16" wheels. You would think Land Rover would forsee people actually wanting to use REAL off road tires on their vehicles and prep em at least with the 16's......

khaywood
06-11-2007, 03:42 PM
The 2001 Disco II I just picked up has General Grabber AT2's in 255/65-16. I can't speak for offroad suitability yet, but they are pretty quiet on the highway. The stiffer suspension set up I added caused more noise/vibration to be transmitted to the cabin. The Grabber's have had some good reviews and are available at a reasonable price even from Tire Rack.

rugbier
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I always ran BFG Mud Terrains and the suckers never seem to wear out. I have the same problem with my D2 - the damn 18" wheels that came with the vehicle aren't worth diddly because nobody makes mud tires for em. So I'm gonna have to do two things to get it where I want it. First get a mild lift via OME coils and shocks, and second switch to 16" wheels. You would think Land Rover would forsee people actually wanting to use REAL off road tires on their vehicles and prep em at least with the 16's......
Actually, BF Goodrich makes AT/KO in 265/65/18, close call but they fit on the Hurricane Rims. If you go 16" you have several options like M/T MTZ ( quiet ride ) or Super Swampers SSR 165/70/16. Just my $0.02

Colorado Rover
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
I put a set of the General Grabber At2 on the 18's (255/55/18). I have thirty k on the tires and they have worn 4/32 of the 13/32 new. Discount tire had to orderthem. Have had no real issues, except that I seem to pick up nails on the dirt county roads. It happens after the county regrades the road and they pull dirt from the ditches. Otherwise, the tires have been remarkedly quiet on the pavement, good traction in the rain, snow and mud. I like the traction even better than the BF G's. Howevre, I think the three ply sidewall of the BFg's is beter for offroad.

TNdisco2
08-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Matt, don't know if they come in the size you need for the 16 inch wheels, but I have the Michelin 4x4 Synchrones on mine and have really liked them. I have 25,000 miles on them and they have worn very evenly and have really held up. However, I have the 18 inch wheels though (255/55-18). I would recommend them.

Bark
09-04-2008, 04:44 AM
I replaced the stock tires on my first Disco 2 with 265/70 R16 BFG A/Ts several years ago. It was a great match. Bigger rubber, more clearance, and very little effect on the performance. The only negative is that you have to remove the spare wheel mount and turn it upside down, so the larger tire will not foul the rear bumper.
I just bought a 'new' 2002 Disco and have repeated the process. In my opinion, it is the best mod you can make to a D2.

gthphotography
10-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing to my 04 DII. Bark, what rims are you running, and did you get a lift? I've searched and searched to get the info I need to do this, but steel wheels seem to have to be bought online, and then I'm not sure about width of the rim, etc.

donl
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
A co. called Eastcoast rovers that outfits them,shows a lifted DII w/305's on 8.5''x16 simulated beadlock wheels and OME lift,it's a bit extreme for me,albeit expensive,but I'd like tires a bit more agressive and taller/wider for where I go offroading out west!.I've the nec underside armor,arb bumper/winch and all else that are helpfull when we're out there and back here in Jersey as well, just want a bit more....had 32x11.50/15's on my fj40 tlc, and currently running,gen grabbers 31/10.50r/15's on my '93 jeep wrangler,which work out ok,but my love is my '99 DII I bought new back in late '99,one of 4 rovers I've owned....and I read all the above ideas....any more ideas?