PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas? Outside Rollcage

Surfzilla
04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
:D Hey all, I was wondering if anybody had pics? ideas? on a roll cage outside the cabin. any ideas at all, do you know of any pics? URL? What size pipe i should use? wall Thickness? let me know! thanks!
(This is a rough draft, and I stole the original pic!)

J!m
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Bars which wrap around the front fenders and rear quarters cause problems when they contact big stuff and cave in onto the fenders.

Avoid these bars, as well as brush bars which wrap around the lights in the front. Bad idea...

Surfzilla
04-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey all,
Sorry i should have explained some stuff, first off. I need this for the roof rack, and the bumpers, My bumpers are , well beat to hell and back, so I was thinking to replace them with this, and second I live in Florida, so I will use it in swaps and the beach, very few boulders, very little rock climbing, hence the brush gaurds. (Rover lens covers are exspensive!)

J!m
04-30-2007, 09:00 AM
No problem!

Use the 110 external cage as a model: run the front bars along the sides of the windshield, and through the top of the cowling, down to the frame. In the rear, follow the rear window to the rear bumper (which you will replace with a heavy piece).

For the sides, running down behind the rear door might be good, to a set of rockslider/running boards which attach to the frame in front along with the front roll bar attachment.

Cross the bottom of the windshield to stiffen the cage. Also double the bars along the top run (front to rear) and a large "X" above the roof to connect the corners will increase stiffness quite a bit as well. Cross under the rear side windows to keep it from colapsing and protect the side a bit.

You may also want to run some bars internally, down through the roof to the frame behind the driver's seat. This will do the best to limit the length of the span unsupported, and REALLY protect you if you roll.

If made from proper seamless tubing and welded by a certified welder (who will also have ideas to increase strength) you should be relatively safe in there.

For the front protection, have a bumper and brush bar made slightly wider than the truck to protect the corners. Don't wrap around! It may be a retired blue-hair who caves in the side down there in Florida, not a rock or tree off-road...:eek:

Maybe tonight I'll play around in Photoshop with your pictures and make a suggestion for a design that is safe, looks and works well. No promises....

Surfzilla
04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks!