PDA

View Full Version : Decker panel removal?

o2batsea
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone with a sure fire method of getting the panel off without employing trained monkeys and a blowtorch?

Paul Grant
05-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Remove the bonnet and take off the long rubber seal that is on the front of the decker panel. Underneath you will see a number of screws that need to be removed. Open the front doors on both sides and remove the screws or bolts holding the decker panel to the bulkhead. The fun part is removing the bolts that hold the panel to the fender on each side. The bolts furthest back securing the fender to the decker are the most fun to remove. Finally, remove the large nuts and other fixings holding the wipers in place. At this point it is useful to have someone hold down the hinges on the bonnet while you remove the decker panel. It can be done on your own without damaging anything but it is easier to have an extra set of hands.

Ed*
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
one thing ive found helpfull is to buy a 10 foot PVC pole with a diameter to fit over the hinges for the bonet (hood) but still small enough to fit trhough the holes on the decker. Cut the PVC in half so you have two long poles and you can use them for leverage - to hold down the hinges while you slide the decker off.

BE CAREFULL that the poles do NOT slip off the hinges or the hinges will snap up and could make a big dent in the decker. the tension on the poles will make them slip off if you are not careful to keep pushing in on them

JASZD
06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I would personally use Paris Hilton and a hammer to remove the decker!!!! Oh wait a minute that's for another operation......that was for freeing the world from useless junk!
May I ask why you are removing the decker?????
Fan rheostat problems?????
I have been looking for a cheap replacement for the factory one but have not come up with one as of yet....I know on my old 1990 classic if I popped out a decker vent or two you could see the rheostat and if I did not have arms like Popeye and was built more like Olive Oil I was convinced I could get in there to replace the thing without removing the decker......I thought of yanking the wires and relocating it to a much more suitable place.....like somwhere you can actually reach the thing wihtout the use of Paris Hilton and a hammer.....oh there I go again!
Well good luck whatever the problem is.