PDA

View Full Version : switching efi to carb

CliftonRover
06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I just purchased an Edelbrock intake manifold, edelbrock performer 500cfm carb, and air filter assembly. I have a early 89 range rover that runs very well. I want to remove the body and put a series IIa on. I have one donor 88" and another for the tub streching and such. I want to know if I have to get a new distributor and coil. Does the rover dizzy only work with the efi computer?

CliftonRover
06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I am trying to build a 100" series IIa, the only real problem I have encountered is finding 13" per side for the rear series quarter panel strech. I am going to cut the tub just behind the fuel tank filler, strait down and al the way across the tub. this seems like the best place to add to the length of the tub. the wheel base is 12 inches longer than the 88" so allowing for overlap I figure 13" is a good length piece. Is there enough quarter panel infront of the rear wheel well to bridge the gap. I may have a second 88 tube to take this section from. If this is not long enough what should I do.

msggunny
06-07-2007, 10:47 AM
You might want to post this some where else, it might get more responses if you put it in the series or another thread.

In theory the dizzy should work, but not 100% sure. best way would be to cross reference the part number for one from both a carb and efi dizzy and if they are the same they should work.

Did you check if a throttle body efi set up would work? Holley makes one, thats is my plan if i ever go to a rover v8.

Terrys
06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
The distributor doesn't care what the induction system is. You'll still need to fire your coil through the ign amp, but that is a single system, and no changes in the wiring are necessary.

CliftonRover
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
what is the ignition amp, and can it be removed without pilling the dash apart, the range rover body is being pulled off the frame, and I don't want to dig throught the harness to find stuff. I am also trying to keep the wiring in the hybrid as simple as possible.

Paul 84
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi CliftonRover,

I think you are getting ahead of yourself, you might want to figure out the front end first. It's much more complicated than just dropping the Series body on.

That said, it can be done. I have a lot of info on another forum if you would like to check it out. Here is the link.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=88650

As for the carb and manifold, that will work also but that carb might be a bit large for a stock RR 3.9, that's only about 220 cubic inches.

The RR you have should have a standard coil and dizzy. No problem it will work.

Paul

Terrys
06-15-2007, 05:30 AM
what is the ignition amp, and can it be removed without pilling the dash apart, the range rover body is being pulled off the frame, and I don't want to dig throught the harness to find stuff. I am also trying to keep the wiring in the hybrid as simple as possible.

The ignition amplifier is mounted to the side of the distributor body.