PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 light

zac13black
06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I just bought a 97 disco put it in 4 wheel drive, know I cant seem to get my 4x4 light to turn off. Any suggestions. Thanks

Buddy
06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I just bought a 97 disco put it in 4 wheel drive, know I cant seem to get my 4x4 light to turn off. Any suggestions. Thanks

Have you tried disengaging the diff lock? pushing the lever to the right? :D

Sometimes if there is load on it the difflock will stick. You can try a number of different things but make sure to keep the lever in the unlocked position don't keep shifting it back and forth. Try backing up for a little bit, try putting it in neutral and if that does not work just drive it around preferably on dirt. It should eventually become disengaged.

It's always a good idea to use the diff lock from time to time to keep it working in good order.

landrover77
06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Rover is always Four Wheel Drive
Yeah baby!
Just a little add on to the above-
-vehicle in neutral first
or
-sometimes driving forward 10 -20mph
shift to neutral then try to dis-engadge

Stephen99D1
06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Ditto Buddy's comments. Mine sticks occassionally on trails... just drive a few more feet, maybe turn the wheel a little.
Not trying to be an arse, but do you realize the diagram on the transfer case knob (and diagram) is describing an H pattern? It's not necessarily a clearly understood system if you are coming over from some other 4wd manufacturer.
Left side locks the center differential and causes the light to go on - don't drive on the street with this light on if you want to have a happy, long life with your transfer case. Right side is where you want to be when on the street, as Buddy said. That's high and low range (still full-time 4wd), but without locking the center diff.
I'm not sure if the intricacies and full system explanation has been made on this forum, but I know a search on other forums will turn up several threads explaining all this.
I apologize if you already realize all this - perhaps I'm reading too much into your post regarding your relative 'new-ness' to the LR world.