PDA

View Full Version : Replaced clutch now have more noise :-(

Disco 1992
06-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi all
I'm hoping you guys can offer a gal some help here, I recently had a new clutch fitted to my 1992 Disco after 412,000 km. Now I have this whine, shich sounds to my uneducated ears like a thrust bearing. The Landrover repairers tell me this is my transfer box (apparently they feel it has done a lot of work and is now wearing out) funny thing is I hadn't got this noise prior to the clutch being fitted. It positively screamed at me going up a long slow hill ( not something the diesel likes to do), I think I was in 2nd or 3rd from memory. It still drives ok, does not make the noise in low range. A friend suggests it could be the thrust bearing. Is this distinctly possible if so why did the repairers not pick this up??

Any help would be appreciated
Sue

jonnyrover
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
you're one up on me!!! at the risk of sounding stupid, i couldn't point a thrust bearing out of a line up!!!!

Sorry i couldn't be of help but i thougt it would be great to chat with a sister from the other side of the earth!!

Disco 1992
06-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for replying, not sure what else to say except that I wouldn't have a clue either, this is just what I have been told. All I do is drive the thing and put diesel in it....lol, but it is great fun to drive as long as I drive it like a truck:-)). i do hate it when she makes funny noises though as they are usually costly to fix :-(((

Disco 1992
09-18-2007, 05:38 AM
For those of you who are interested, I thought I would up date you all on the latest on my clutch issue, seems some thought a longer bolt had been put in the transfer case which could then be potentially sheered off creating the whine. Others thought that given the mileage that I had transfer case signs of wear etc and those guys were telling me it probably won't last much longer...ha ha they don't understand my car is going to 500,000km without collapsing in a heap. None of it has so far resulted in any failure and I'm now about three months down the track of the original clutch replacement.

I also remember about 4 years ago a Landy dealer said similar things about my piston wear and reckoned I had burnt the internal motor workings during a head gasket failure, at that time they were suggesting she would be dead within 20,000km, that was over 100,000km ago....lol.

More recently I have managed to find some guys in Londsale ( south of adelaide) who are quite happy to fix my car with second hand parts (they have about 5acres of wrecks out the back) and who also proceeded to tell me they thought my car was in much better condition than most for its age.

The speedo is currently showing 414,350km so she has a way to go yet and now that I have found some cheaper repairers who do a great job, I shall just keep her ticking along for a while longer.

Happy motoring
Sue