PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Gremlin??

2rovers
10-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Here is whats happening, my series is a x breed with head lights in the wings as well as the rad area. When I turn on my head lights my amp meter takes a big drop. I drove around last night with lights, both wipers, heater, and stereo on, Came home, shut it all down, went to start it right away and DEAD battery.
Also when driving with head lights on, my turn signle only works some time, mostly in a higher rmp situation.
Can't find a short any where, it is a new battery. Could it be my alternator is not strong enough for all the electrics on at the same time? or alternator on the way out?
Any advise is appreciated!

fruitpunch
10-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Grounds checked, sounds to me like your alternator is only putting out like 11.5 volts and not enough to charge your battery. High revs it might make it to like 12 volts or so, I think my alternator puts out around 14 volts. Time to check your alternators output and report back.

NelsAnderson
10-28-2006, 08:12 AM
What alternator do you have? Knowing that it should be possible to determine how many amps it is capable of putting out. You do have a lot more electrical drain going on then your truck had coming out of the factory so you may need an alternator upgrade if you want to run everything at the same time.

Leslie
10-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Alternator would be the place to start.

Out of curiosity, how are your second lights wired? Usually when I've seen the four-eyed ones come through the shop, one pair is hooked up as normal driving lights, and the other pair is aimed to act as spot lights, on a separate switch. If all four are coming on, you might want to cut the laod running through the single switch.

2rovers
10-28-2006, 09:53 AM
well its snowing this morning and I have to be a "shade tree" mechanic, so I just might have to go for a drive instead of working in the snow!

I have heard that the ford fiesta alternator is straight forward bolt on to the 2.25l. with more apms. Anyone else have any knowledge on this?

I'm not a mechanic of any kind, so any advise is appreciated. Some times the Haynes book only goes so far!