PDA

View Full Version : Disco brakes

Kevinh
07-01-2007, 01:44 PM
About 2000 miles ago I had the brake system done calipers, rotors, and pads. When I first start out driving I have to apply alot of pressure on the brake pedel to stop, then it gets a little better. I dont think I would be able to lock-up the brakes at all. Pedel is nice and firm. How about the booster?
Thanks Kevinh '96 Disco

jonnyrover
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Have you tried bleeding the brake lines yourself? It sounds like the pressure in the brake system might have been thrown off when they drained your brake lines to replace the calipers. Although, you said the pedal is firm? Consider opening both front bleeder valves on the calipers and depress the pedal all the way to the floor. Fluid should flow and the pedal show go fairly easily. Then tighten the valves back up, fill the fluid reservoir back up (dot4), and start priming the brake pedal multiple times with the engine running until it is tight again... if this doesn't fix the problem then I am out of ideas... this is the method i have used on my 96 disco and my two rice burners for related issues.

Good Luck!!!:o

Does someone else out there have suggestions?

SGFMORover
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
sounds like air to me too.... i might add that its helpful to have a second person as the bleeder valve should be closed while still applying pressure to the pedal so as to prevent air from sucking back up in.... generally 3 times per wheel will get out anything. if you don;t have any friends to open and close valves a bleeder kit can be purchased cheap and easy at any auto parts store. good luck!

...."Brakes don't work no point in steering"..... (anybody name that quote?)