PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulled out an engine recently?

o2batsea
07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
I know that it's rare to have to do anything to these motors, but the PO of this otherwise pristine LWB apparently never put oil or coolant in the engine and ran it until it blew. I have all the bolts out except for the three least accessible bellhousing bolts, and those of you who have attempted removing an engine know just what I'm referring to. My question is, which tools or combination of wrenches did you use to get to these? These are the one on the transmission dipstick tube and the second up from the bottom on both sides.
Thanks.

phoenix
07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I work for a dealer, when we do these things normally we have pulled the heads looking for the problem, on occasions where the unit needs to come out complete I have used a long extension with a flex socket.
on my classic, pulled the trans and tcase mounts and lowered the back end to tilt the bell housing downwards. of course this was at home where I dont have the luxury of a lift as I do at work.
once the bolts were undone I jacked the trans and t case combo into position and hand threaded the nutsjust to hold everything in place and continue with the job.
installation was almost reverse with a little ingeniuity.

o2batsea
07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I did manage to get the darn bolts out, but boy was it awful. Average time was about twenty minutes per bolt.
Two minutes on the easy ones and almost an hour on the hard ones. Dreading reinstallation.
I guess Rover put the bodies on after the engine and transmission were in place. Diks.