PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Guys

landi41
10-31-2006, 04:55 AM
So OK where are all of you Discovery guys :confused:

Don't tell me your trucks are all up and running like a top :D

Of course my 1996 is but with gas prices i only drive 100 miles a week if that, i just have a Land Rover in the yard to admire :thumb-up:

Mudley N. Grimey
11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Landi41-

Just bought my first Land Rover, a 97 Disco w/ manual trans. Hard to find in this part of Oregon. Looked at lots of Jeep Wranglers, but they all drove like my old '47 Chevy. Can't believe the off road capability of the Disco, especially in the sand.:nono:

Mudley

landi41
11-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi mudley........
97 Discovery with manual gearbox is a nice unit.......have fun with it :)

Mudley N. Grimey
11-05-2006, 07:44 PM
I have a question about the fog/driving light switch and wiring. My Disco did not have aux. lights, and I am looking for a decent set. I notice that the switch is arlready wired and in fact lights up when pressed ( with the lights on) Is there a wiring harness and relay somewere in the front of the vehicle to make wiring aux lights a simple task?

Leslie
11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I have a question about the fog/driving light switch and wiring. My Disco did not have aux. lights, and I am looking for a decent set. I notice that the switch is arlready wired and in fact lights up when pressed ( with the lights on) Is there a wiring harness and relay somewere in the front of the vehicle to make wiring aux lights a simple task?

Are you referring to your rear fog lights? On the left binnicle? Have someone sit in the seat with the vehicle on with the lights on, with you behind the vehicle, and see if having them push that button is turning on the rear fogs.

Mudley N. Grimey
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Sorry, looking for front fog light connections, not rear. Thanx for reply.

I found two white recepticals next to the headlights. Eric at RN said that they were for original fogs. I think I've got it figrued out.

Mudley

S3AIRPORT
11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi there,
Also just purchased a Discovery I, 97 with 5 speed. Only thing in-op at this time is the cruise control. I know, I know, an ex-Series owner asking "wassup, no cruise control", just wondered if others had similar "issues"
Les

Buddy
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
hmm lot's of new '97 disco owners. Me being one of them although mine is an automatic. :-( Wish it was 5 speed but for what I paid for it I can't complain. Was a series owner before but do to budget constraints I had to refine my stable to one vehicle. :-( So I opted for the Disco as Defenders are way outside of my budget and well the Series just is not a highway vehicle.

nosivad_bor
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi there,
Also just purchased a Discovery I, 97 with 5 speed. Only thing in-op at this time is the cruise control. I know, I know, an ex-Series owner asking "wassup, no cruise control", just wondered if others had similar "issues"
Les

Check the rubber horses right under the master cyl, they are probably cracked at the " T "

if you have slack in the rubber hose you can cut the ends off and slide back onto the " T " this is what worked for me.

If they are badly cracked you can go to an autoparts store and buy random lengths of rubber vac. hose off of a spool, simple replace the entire length of hose.

This is the problem 90% of the time with a disco Cruise Control.

LowCountryDisco
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I've got a 96 Disco with 5spd manual. I bought it new. Since it went off warranty several years ago, I don't visit the local dealership all that much. But when I do take it in, they always look on in amazement cuz they act like they've never seen a 5spd (either that or they can't believe I take care of it).

Regarding the cruies control. I've had to replace the actual switch on the steering wheel adjacent to the airbag. It just wore out. If it doesn't "click" it may need replacement. Simple task, just make sure you unplug the battery and wait 20 minutes so you don't accidently activate the airbag.

Mudley N. Grimey
11-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Speaking of the 5 speeds. I noticed that when I shifted quickly from 1st to 2nd, that I would grind the gears at anything over 1500 rpm. My service guy suggested that I change to Redline full synthetic ATF. (Yes ATF is the correct lubricant) It has eliminated 75% of the grinding and gear changing is much smoother, especially going into reverse when cold.

landrover77
03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
So you are wondering about other Discovery owners and how the rig runs?
I have a 1995 Discovery and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned!
It was not perfect but that is the fun of owning a classic! I've been able to work on it, modify it, and its so fun I cant see straight!
Sure its expensive but with forums like this, Rovers North and
Atlantic British, the occasional Rover Dealer help on service/parts.
My '95' is just about tip top! Now I've got to admit that It has
cost me(either by choice upgrades or restoring to glory) $6,000.00
And worth every penny! I have not lifted it at all, and still the offroad
ability is amazing! I may lift it someday but hey, it's a rock solid beast
and looks so damn good. I laugh to myself whenever I ride past an
LR3 or new supercharged Range Rover. The Disco 1 is the best in my
opinion

landrover77
03-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Can anyone tell me what the selection of goods is like up at the
Rovers North shop in Westford?

I imagine its like being in a candy store as a child!! I've got a '95' DI.
I am not looking for anything specific but wanted to visit (coming from
southern New Hampshire). and wanted an assurance that its worth the
haul!!

Also could anybody drop me a line on a name of a nice country dirt road
up there with the possibility to find a trail if wanted!!!!

Thanks as always.

Stephen99D1
03-28-2007, 12:48 AM
I stopped by in October while on a trip through New England (from NC)... I certainly felt like a kid in a candy store! Les gave my wife and I a tour and even showed a few new products (at that time) which showed up in the Christmas catalog. So yes, you can see, touch, and smell all the goodies you've been drooling over. My wife would probably tell you that I was as happy as a 10 year old at DisneyWorld. :thumb-up:

KWKOne
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi,
I 've got a 'green 94 Discovery Automatic 7 seater with tan cloth seats, a la Terence Conran (UK Habitat) design, front and back a/c, 2 moons.
I'm a Brit and bought this guy more or less as soon as I got to the US in 1999. It had 48k miles on the clock. I spent 2 years up and down the Rockies, then 2 years up and down the Berkeley/Oakland Hills in CA. I've now been in Houston Texas for 3 1/2 yeras and he's done 121,000 miles.
Yep, we had some cruise contol problems, I'd hardly used it mainly due to the fact that we'd never seen roads before so long, flat and straight!! Man, it's flat here!
I've have fortunately found a Shoppe here that does most of the work for me these days, like 2 condenser fans recently (ouch!), and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. But I still try some things myself.
I just mounted Hella fog lamps and spot lamps (not using a brush bar), and customised 2 switches to go where the headlamp height adjustment switch would go. So now I need to join up the two (or six).
Any ideas of a good place to get the wires through the bulkhead and into the interior of the car/dashboard? Do I need to drill a new hole?
Also should I place the trelays inside the car rather than in the engine compartment what with Houston heat and Discovery's running real hot?
Thanks and good t'meet y'all!
kwk

jonnyrover
06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
sorry to be the jonny come lately!!! :cool:
I have a 96 disco as you do... it is my first and i bought it out of pennsylvania. it was a good 10 hour drive back to KY too. drove like a champ except for the steering. I need to put a TLC into it but can't totally justify the cost yet for local commuting. I, like you, have hung up the rover for long trips aside from the occasional camping/fishing trip. Too much $$$.

another issue is all of the water leaks in the cab, since you are looking for other disco owners with vehicle boo boos! fixed one but still haven't fixed the big leak in the bed... :mad:

have fun and cheers!!!! i love my rover!

graemers
07-10-2007, 01:04 AM
As for routing wires in the firewall, I found that you can squeeze them through the existing rubber grommet on the drivers side to the left of the pedals. There is enough room to fit a few more wires and you don't have to punch any new leaky holes!! Hope it helps

bblake12
08-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Loss of cruise control is a common issue. It is a vacuum system and if you do some google searches you will see the fixes out there. Basically the rubber hose's wear out and you either replace them or if you can cut off the worn part. The cruise control unit is in the front of the engine compartement under the jack. You can barely see it but you can trace the hoses back to the block and see where they attach. I fixed mine in about 20 min's and it is a recurring fix.

Bryan