PDA

View Full Version : Another miss'n query

Luke
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Folks - hoping you can cut down on my fault diagnosis efforts...

I've got a 2.6 litre 109 Station Wagon. Recently it's started coughing and hesitating when turning sharp left or occasionally up hills from a standing start.

I've assumed so far it's fuel starvation or carb. Checked the sediment bowl and it's clean. The fuel pump filter had a little debris but basically clean also. One possible clue is that when I wait for a few seconds for the pump to prime on starting I can normally hear a tone change - not getting that at the moment. Could it be a blockage in the tank? If so, how can you tell? It's a station wagon so I've had the rear floor plates up but it wasn't obvious (to a dimwit like me anyway..) where you'd check. Through the fuel sender plate? It's full at the moment so I'm leaving that one until it's empty.

I was also thinking carb. I noticed recently that it's not holding oil but I'd have thought that would affect it all the time, not just turning left... I'm still digging up info on that one.

Any help in cutting down the number of straws I need to grasp at would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers
Luke

Dav1550
11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Recently it's started coughing and hesitating when turning sharp left or occasionally up hills from a standing start.

Cheers
Luke

Might want to check the fuel line....... perhaps some movement in the body is pinching it off.

The fuel pick-up in tank has a screen on the bottom that could be checked. It takes but a 1/4 turn of the locking ring and it will come out without draining the tank.

Thought I had a problem the other day with the fuel and unpluged the fuel pump at the coil and disconnected the fuel line from the side of the carb. Then using a bit of exstra hose and a catch basin....... plugged up the fuel pump and checked the flow and volisity.

Dave

Leslie
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Similar symptoms, on mine it was the fuel pick-up tube itself, had 30-yrs of varnish build-up blocking the tube. Pulled the mesh off, used a .22 bore brush w/ PB Blaster to clean it out. (Don't go pulling the mesh off until you are pretty sure that the tube is blocked and needs it... the mesh is soldered into place, and not easy to replace.) I was thinking of using new mesh and a hose clamp, but the clamp won't fit in through the hole in the tank when in place on the tube.

FWIW....

Luke
11-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks Guys, that's really helpful!! :thumb-up:

singingcamel
11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
it could also be a partially plugged fuel pick up tube in your tank. ive also seen faulty coil act this way.
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

yorker
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
If you pull the mesh off the pick up tube in the tank to clean it you can attach a new strainer sock without a hose clamp- simply take some heavy mechanics wire and loop it around, twist it tight and it will remain in place fine. it will allow enough clearance to pass throught the hole in the tank.

Matt Nelson

Luke
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
it could also be a partially plugged fuel pick up tube in your tank. ive also seen faulty coil act this way.
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Hi SingingCamel - the coil was my first port of call and I replaced it with new. Engine runs more smoothly now - probably because I found that the HT wire wasn't actually plugged into it properly and had been arcing - but I'm still getting the hesitancy.

I'm going to pull the fuel pickup tube next to see what's occurring. Thanks for the wire tip Yorker. :thumb-up:

Cheers
Luke