PDA

View Full Version : changing 1990 ABS brakes to non ABS brakes

Dan
10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I just got done driving from Nebraska to Vermont with out my Power ABS Brake pump in my 1990 Range. It finnally made its wierd wining sound for the last time and just quit last wendsday evening. Good thing they have interstates! I want to now take the ABS system out and replace it with a regular Brake diaphram and master cylinder. I am asking anyone for knowlage about this task good or bad. Has anyone done it before? I know the moter is not cheap and I like mechanics better than electronics any way. Thanks Dan

joshua.mcguoirk
10-11-2007, 04:54 PM
If you disconnect the wiring harness to the ABS system located under the bonnet on the LHS of the engine bay... you now have mechanical brakes without ABS assist. You will get an ABS warning light. If that bothers you... remove the instrument cluster and remove the bulb.

Dan
10-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I tried unhooking the wiring harness and sinse the pump is bad there is no asist and still cant even come close to locking them up. It works in a pinch but I am still looking to get a master cylinder and booster in instead. Any ideas for used part sources for getting the cylinder, booster, and pedal assymbley. Or any ideas about just sticking a universal or another make system in?

Paul Grant
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I didn't think you could simply disconnect the wiring harness on a Range Rover's ABS system. I know you can pull the fuse on a DI's system without anymore than the lose of modulator. The servo and master will still work. But, I thought that the system on a Classic was far more complicated and doing things like pulling the harness would stop the brakes from functioning at all. After all, the Wbaco system in a Classic doesn't have an independent servo or master, it's all incorporated in the ABS block.