PDA

View Full Version : What's it gonna take?

cookingwithfat
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I posted this on the Rovers North internal thread as well, but I thought it would be good to get the opinions of all of you who are lovers of Range Rovers.

My fiancee and I are planning to take make our honeymoon a cross country trip, up to Dead Horse Alaska and back. Now, this works out great because since the death of my D90 several years ago I have wanted a new rover. So I have been thinking about it, and while I want another D90 there are two things that stop me: first, it is not exactly the best truck for a trip that will include a lot of highway travel; and secondly, I just don't have the money.

So then I thought about getting a Disco 1: but I have been strongly advised against it for a long trip where funds are low as it has been suggested that in the price range I want to be in I will not find a reliable Disco, and even if I did, when it breaks down I will be screwed in terms of getting it repaired.

So, a friend said to me, "why don't you get an old range rover? With the money you saved on initial investment you could really get the truck outfitted the way you want and in rock solid condition."

That idea has really stuck, and since my fiancee is way on board with the idea I am trying to figure out exactly what I need to do, and how much it is going to cost, to get things ready for the trip and my renewed rover life. (A life I have been missing for some time.)

This is what I want: a Range Rover - preferably LWB - that is in rock solid condition. I will need a roof rack and think a winch would be advisable, since I tend to get myself in trouble. I know I am going to want to swap out the suspension for coil spring. What I am most concerned about is the process of making sure the drive-train is totally kickin' butt.

I see many Range Rovers out there in the $3000 range, but wonder what the typical problems are with early 90's Rangies with between 125k and 175k miles on them.

I would appreciate any thoughts you all might have.