PDA

View Full Version : door locks on 03 Disco II

pistol98
10-09-2007, 09:39 AM
My front driver side door lock and the rear gate door locks are not working. The troubling aspect is that they randomly work, and the rear passenger side also randomly does not work. I asked the dealer about this, to see if there is an ECU that controls the locks and he could not answer my question. He then told me that the latches would need to be replaced at around $150 a pop. Anyone have this problem? How difficult is it to replace the latches, if that is really what needs to be done. It seems to me that on something electrical like this there should be an ECU that I can replace first, before pulling the door skins. Any suggestuions?

mgrovertech
10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
It's your latches. Mine have systematically failed. With each one first they got intermittent and then just stopped. The tail door is the easiest to change, just remove the trim panel and speaker for access. On the side doors you're supposed to raise the window frames out of the doors to get at them. I didn't take the windows and regulators out and didn't completely remove the window frames from the door, just lifted it up enough to get the old latch out and new one in place. A bit awkward but you get pretty good at it by time your third one fails.

pistol98
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
hey thanks. I am going to give it a shot and will start with the latch on the rear so I don't totally pull my hair out. I hate paying the local dealer for crap like this, they take too long, and becuase I didn't buy the car from them (and have no plans on getting ripped off for a new LR2) they treat me like a second class citizen.