PDA

View Full Version : 95 RRC LWB - No Forward Gears, but Have Reverse

57loboy
10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Car has 138k miles, just got it a little ways back and all seemed fine. Went to pickup movie tickets just now, was 1 mile from home and after stopping at a stop sign, 1/2way through intersection, BANG....No forward.

I have reverse, but no forward at all... Upon replaying the drive, there was a slight driveline vibration as I was driving and the bang occured right inbetween the 1>>2 shift.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm fairly mechanically inclined but Rovers are new to me - my recent "toys" have all been Turbo Buicks/Grand Nationals, which are as cantankerous as Rovers in my mind!

Thanks!

dirtyduk
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds like the Trans , but it Banged ? you might have broken an axel,try jacking up each wheel one at a time and see if any turn freely, If the T-box viscous is weak it may not push the vehicle forward. any loud noises from the trans ? grinding from the T-box? need to spend some time here with diagnosis

57loboy
10-16-2007, 06:21 AM
It "banged" as if it let go/was shifted out of gear under load...revs went way up suddenly, etc. Reverse is just fine... Goes into Low and back to High in the t-case no issues. No grinding, leaks or noises...everything sounds fine, just no forward motion.

phoenix
10-17-2007, 08:51 PM
trans. sounds like a bad set of forward clutches and or sun gears.

mrcomanche
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi,

I've read all of the entries about this problem, 'cos I have the same problem, but definitely I got there on another way. (!!)
I was driving the car on the highway. I saw grey cloud behind me (oil was burning on the engine), so I stopped the car immediately, placed it to Park. I felt nothing, and heard nothing soft or hard BANG. Nothing. I got out, and checked the car. I noticed, that the transmission oil pipe (the flexible one) slided off from the iron oil pipe under the engine. Of course, oil was leaking. The place where I stopped was really busy, but I saw another unused lane 100 metres front of me. Started the engine, placed the transmission to Drive. It got the right speed, so I started to go but I was getting loose the speed and power, I got slower and slower. Finally, I got the safe area, and I stopped the engine again, placed it to Park again. I fixed the pipe, filled out with the right transmission oil and started again. I noticed that I have reverse, but no forward. Mechanic gave me an offer about NZD$3000... I don't think it has a serious problem, because I just lost oil (and I stopped it immediately), but your comments are very welcome!
Cheers, Bence