PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/Degreasing Engine on Series IIa

yarborc
10-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I was wondering what the best method is to clean and degrease the engine in a series IIa rover. I have alot of crud and grease built up around the engine and surrounding parts and would like to have it clean so I can look for leaks etc. Thanks

alaskajosh
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Rent or borrow a "Hotsy", a hot water/steam pressure washer. Some you can even add a detergent.
I'm sure half-a-dozen people will chime in to warn you not to spray around seals, cap, or maybe not at all, but honestly any other option involves hours and hours scrubbing with either noxious or ineffective (your choice) chemicals for only mediocre results.

ajones
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I used oven cleaner from the dollar store, sprayed it on, let it sit, and then used the water hose. Worked pretty well. Though the fumes are nasty, but it was cheap!

Roverowner
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I used a half dozen cans of aerosol carb cleaner, then rinsed with water. No scrubbing involved except where the grease had really built up.

Linus Tremaine
10-25-2007, 11:14 PM
i prefer oil eater. You may be able to get it by the gallon at your local costco or somewhere online. its biodegradable and is relatively harmless. Works great

BGGB
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
in a recent article in land rover owner international showed how to spruce up the entire engine bay