PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Confusion

Jim-ME
11-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Here is a picture of my oil cooler line where it comesoff the block. As you can see there is no adapter from the oil filter. The return line goes into the oil pan. You can see how the now dead oil temp gauge was plumbed in. Is this totally messed up or will it work OK as is.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10&stc=1&d=1163349387

Thanks,
Jim

KingSlug
11-12-2006, 12:19 PM
The hot oil out line comes from a sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter on the LS of the engine by the distributor or injection pump then across the front of the engine to the picture you have there.

Now take a pic of your oil filter and you should see a 2" metal hockey puck between the block and the oil filter housing.

If you need help I could post a pic.

KingSlug

Jim-ME
11-12-2006, 12:24 PM
A picture would be extremely helpful. Thanks for the offer.
Jim

Jim-ME
11-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I just looked again. By God it is there. Do I feel stupid. Since the line appears to be leaking where can I get a replacement?
Jim

KingSlug
11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
A hydralic hose shop, call a forklift repair shop and they can usually refer you. Now you will need to take old hoses in because the shop will probably need to reuse the hose ends. Have them make it out of high pressure, high temp, abrasion resistence hose. Its usually pretty cheap to do and will last for just about forever. I had this done with my D90 because their oil lines are prone to brusting and starting a fire that only leaves you with a salvaged title. It is usually alot cheaper than stock parts, plus they are better quailty.

While you have the oil cooler lines out flush the oil cooler to clean out all the gunk, drop the oil pan and scrap out all the sludge; this will easily reduce your oil temp. If you go crazy replace the oil filter housing with one from a 2.5L, it is shaped like the housing you have now and will let you use spin on filters. Warning do not use an after maket spin on oil filter adapter you will not have enough clearence with the oil filter pointing straight out.

Jim-ME
11-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Please let me know where I can get the oil filter housing that you are talking about. With the logging equipment industry I can easily get the hoses made up. Where the oil cooler line is attached to the oil pan there is a leak. Do you know what type of seal needs to be used there and where I might get it?
Thanks,
Jim

J!m
11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
A wild guess here, but I expect the oil pan seal is a copper washer...

Most good sized auto parts stores (i.e. NAPA) stock an assortment, so just bring the old one in at your next oil change, although RN should have them in stock for a few bucks...

KingSlug
11-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Try the host of this board a shot, or Ray Wood at RM (http://www.parabolicsprings.com/) (he usually has a bunch used and unique parts) or George at RDS (http://www.roversdownsouth.com/), I think BritPart in the UK bought all Santana's old parts (they'll have a bunch, but it doesn't have the oil cooler ports if I remember right but hey you already have the hockey puck adapter). Tell them you are looking for a 2.5L oil filter housing.