PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - need on time for a job

landrover77
12-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I would please like to know how many hours it should take for
replacing the engine front cover gasket(s) - thermostat gasket and
valve cover gaskets. Why? Because the dealership seems to jack the number of hours way up for any given job, and I want to stick it to them for what it should take in time (I am supplying parts)

I've heard - 1 hour for valve cover gaskets w/ out logistics:
(cleaning up old oil and such).

I need to have this job done ASAP, but feel that an 1995 engine probably needs pneumatic tools to release the plenum bolts, ect...

Please send info (anyone w/ exp.) on the approx. time
for the complete gasket replacing job. (logistics involved)

Thanks and cheers!!!

Terrys
12-07-2007, 06:21 AM
I don't make it a point to time myself when I do any particular job, and there are enough interuptions, it would be tough to keep track anyway, but an hour to do valve cover gaskets is pretty optomistic. The right side will take no more than 20 minutes, but the left side is underneath the plenum and that has to be removed, with the associated hoses, cable and whatnot. It's a pretty good bet that one or more of the six plenum bolts is going to be stuck or just breaks off straightaway.

The front cover gasket is similar story. So much has to come off beforehand, and you may as well change the waterpump and gasket at this point anyway. If it's a pre '96, then you have the oil pump and distributor to deal with also, retiming, repriming, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for anyone with reasonable skills doing this sort of thing themselves, but don't be lead to believe you're gonna knock it off in a few hours.

landrover77
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks for the advice.
it makes sense pinpointing these hours is tough