PDA

View Full Version : Tires, type and brand?

Guinness
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Time to put some new tires on my 1995 D90. It is only used on the road, no wheel'n (let the bantering begin...). Currently I have BFG All-Terrains, I have my eye on BFG Rugged Trail TA's...and I want to use the same size, 265/75R16
Any suggestion on what type and brand?

TSR53
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the RoversNorth Forum!

Tires are like shoes, your going to get a load of opinions and choices. This is my recommendation.

"Choose your tire for your road conditions and where you drive 90% of the time. This includes: your weather, tarmac conditions, work commute, off-roading and your driveway."

Visit www.tirerack.com

Based on your needs, the BFG Rugged Trail TAs are an awesome choice.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bfg_rggd_trail_ta_obl_ci2_l.jpg

Other tires to consider...

Dunlop Radial Rover A/T

Michelin LTX M/S

General Grabber AT S

Khumo Road Venture AT KL-87

I used to run BFG Mud-Terrains on my '94 Defender 90. They were awesome in off-road conditions, but a little noisy on the highway getting there :sly:. Bad choice, the wife and daughter hated them from Vermont to Colorado and back - duh. I should have picked out an all terrain instead :o. But, when we we finally arrived to Ouray, Colorado (sans hearing [what?!?] ) and traversed down Black Bear Pass, I'm glad I bought the Mud-terrains :thumb-up:. Ear plugs are cheap, right?

http://www.roversnorth.com/gallery/gal/Solihull_Society_Nationals/2001-Solihull_Nationals_Ouray,CO/co71b.jpg

ps... I run Dunlop Winter M3s snow tires on my 2006 MINI Cooper S. Might even run then year round. Yes, they are snow tires, but my driving conditions dictate what tires I use. My mountain commute everyday is like a stage right out of the Monte Carlo rallye. The tarmac has loose gravel all over, mud, torrential rain, etc. Then I've got to contend with snow and ice for four to six months, frost heaved to no end, and dust. You name it, I drive it. With traction control on the Cooper S is exceptional in the snow. With a flick of the eBrake, it rotates quicker than my Audi S6 quattro using the throttle :rolleyes:. Very entertaining, connected to the road and lively to drive. In the summer, when I go autocrossing, I'll bring an extra set of rims with specific tires mounted.

Guinness
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Thompson,

Thanks for the info. Looks like you go on some cool adventures. My wife complains about the road noise as well. Hey, it's a Defender, not a Range Rover.:)
About the tires, the BFG Rugged Terrain TA's are offered in two styles P and LT. Anyway, I spoke to a rep at BFG and they claim that the original tire for a D90 was a P265/75R16 not a LT265/75R16. (Strange because my D90 has LT265/75R16 on it now...and I believe they are orignal) They state the a LT (light truck) tire is overkill and that I should go with a P (passenger) tire P265/75R16. Any thoughts?

Thanks...

benderjoshua
02-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I have a friend who bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma and they came with the BFG rugged trail's and they suck. What a horrible tire. They are almost bald and he has only 20,000 miles on them and all highway use. I have had nothing but great luck and absolutely love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. It sounds like you don't use your D90? but thats my two cents anyway.

headdamage
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I like the Big O X/T 255/85R16 on wolf or 130 rims.

http://www.bigotires.com/extranet/images/products/XT(new)009.jpg

rover4x4
03-23-2008, 05:27 PM
We have a truck with the BFG rugged trails I am impressed with how they have done. An F350 flatbed dually that pulls a geo-probe. Id say it usually grosses around 15k with out the probe and probally close to 25k with the probe. Truck does see some offroad use and I have made it up some pretty muddy hills. Id say they perform as well as the BFG AT.