PDA

View Full Version : S and M dashboard light are on. Why?

san988
02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I started my Beuty lady this morning and noticed that the Dashboard has the S and M on and blinking.
Can someone has an answer.

Discovery 03 (beuty lady)

thank you

solihull109
03-01-2008, 07:00 PM
It might be a 12V supply issue. You need to have autologic of T4 to see what fault is coming on the screen. Generally it's somewhere else down range. Find a reputable shop with the proper testing equipment. Good Luck.

discovery7
03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I had the same issue about 5 times off and on. It would go away if i turned the car of for an hour or so. But with some looking around for answers I was advised to check the condition of my battery, if a low voltage signal is sent back from the gearbox it goes into "limp mode" to get you home with least damage to the mechanicals. My battery was 9 parts F@#KED. Once it was
replaced the problem has not returned. But however in the owners manual it dose say to have it checked by an authorizesed LR dealer (STEALER):D
). I guess it is cheaper to fist check the condition of the battery than it is to have a dealer go over it at your cost. Good luck.

solihull109
03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Not entirely true, the tranny will not always go into limp mode.
If the 12 V supply fault is an effect and NOT the cause then you S.O.L.
I agree and I do not recommend going to a Steeler....EVER! But there are enough indy shops with at least Autoligic, and that's all you need.
Good Luck,...keep us posted.

detroitdozer
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I have replaced my battery, checked all of the connections from the battery, starter, alternator, fuse block under the hood and it still does it periodically????? Now, it only does this when the AC is turned on and has been running for a while????? Is my alternator perhaps not putting out enough juice to prevent a low voltage situation with the AC on????? Every so ofter the check engine light will come on in conjunction with the blinking S and M and then it will turn off after the vehicle has been turned off for a while and re-started. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

detroitdozer
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
After a almost 6000 mile road trip this summer with the Disco and not a single occurance of the blinking S & M lights, upon return home to Arizona, blam, blinking S & M lights. Please see previous posts as to steps taken, also note, it has now been to the dealer 3 times for this. The last action taken, they replaced the shift selector switch and resealed my gearbox, apparently oil had gotten into the switch? Along with a new front prop shaft and an enormous service bill, I picked it up yesterday looking forward to trouble free service, well, within 30 minutes it was blinking S & M again! What is the mystery here that the dealer, an independent, and myself cannot figure out?

Hammer38
11-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Without getting into real deep, I had a SII one time that had the battery replaced along with the XYZ switch on the tranny. The S&M lights kept returning also. Seems that interrimently, the tranny ECU would lose power for about a milli-second...literally. This was enough to set the light because the ECU didn't see a gear selection. I was advised by Techline to run a harness from the tranny ECU to the clock in the dash with in-line relays. The theory was that whenever the ECU lost 12V, the relay would click to the clock voltage supply & maintain proper voltage to the tranny ECU. SOunds crazy, but the car never returned for the same problem...and this repair occured over 3 years ago.

That being said, I long ago lost the actual diagram that Techline sent me, but if you keep having this problem, advise your dealer of this and maybe they can find a solution.

detroitdozer
11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a good fix. We went through and replaced the tranny switch as well but it came down to a voltage issue stemming from the alternator. Replaced the alternator and no more issue.