PDA

View Full Version : Left Wing-Top Vent Questions

Maxredd90
03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
I've been having some issues with starting the D-90 after it rains heavily. I think that water is finding it's way to the ignition coil. It's never been a problem until recently. I've got ideas to fix it by making some fiberglass covers, but I was curious if anyone has had similar troubles. It seems as though they put the coil in a vulnerable place so close to the elements exposed by the wing top vent. Look forward to the replies

Terrys
03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Is the vent piece perforated or solid (fake)? It should be solid. If it's perforated, it came off a RHD truck. If it's solid (original) take it off and put some 3M dumdum rope under the edge and replace it.

Maxredd90
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
It's perforated! Thats strange. I have noticed that 97 D-90s have solid left vents, but I assumed all 95's had both perforated. By the way I think this is what was causing all of my problems for earlier, so if you find anyone that could use your old ECM let me know. I guess I'd be better of buying a sold left wing vent huh?

Les Parker
03-27-2008, 12:22 PM
The majority of the NAS 90's I've seen have had "open" grilles on the left hand side.
I was told some years ago, that this was to let the heat out of the engine bay, a thought by some one unknown to me, was that the EFI 's had a coil/amplifier overheat issue, so the left hand was vented to allow the heat out.
Fact? I do not know, just relaying info given to me.

:(

Terrys
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Every NAS defender I have seen had a solid "dummy" vent on the left wing, and vented one on the right. The reverse was true of UK Defenders (since the heater inlet is on the opposite side). I think I have a solid one around somewhere, removed from mine when I put on a Mantec snorkle. If I find it, you can have it.

Your comment about heat, Les, is a valid one. I doubt I could bring myself to boring the holes in the bonnet the way Jesse did to his 110, but there is certainly a lot of heat thrown by alumin(i)um engines. Unless the amp relocation kit was installed, I don't think opening up the dummy vent would help much. I guess the answer is 'drive like hell', and don't spend alot of time standing in one place too long.

Maxredd90
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
I've had the "dummy" vent on the left wing for a few weeks now and it seems to have cured my problem. I don't know why but my coil just got to a point that it hated any water getting in through that vent. I find it funny to hear the different answers with regards to the vents. It reminds us all that these trucks are put together by hand and each one is unique in some way shape or form. Thanks Terrys for the offer but it was an inexpensive part at RN!