PDA

View Full Version : 2 PROBLEMS

jray73
12-10-2006, 07:38 PM
:nono: I HAVE A 1994 CLASSIC THAT I HAVE BEEN SETTING UP FOR ROCK CRAWLING. THE OTHER DAY I HAD IT ON A 50 DEGREE ANGLE AND THE ENGINE CUT OUT AND WOULD NOT START. I THINK IT COULD BE ASSOCIATED WITH AN OIL SENSOR OR SOMETHING........ANY THOUGHTS. OH YEAH THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL NOT SHUT OFF NOW.

SECOND POTENTIAL PROBLEM: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITS NORMAL FOR THE MOTOR TO DIE IF THE POSITIVE LEAD ON THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED??

o2batsea
12-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Impossible to say from here why the engine died. A sensor wouldn't necessarily shut the engine down, as the ECU has baseline settings that will allow it to operate without input from any sensors at all.
Maybe you lost fuel pickup, or there is a short somewhere.
As to the battery, of course if it's disconnected the electrons stop flowing and the engine stops. The same thing happens when you turn the key to the OFF position.

singingcamel
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
i would think it could be related to a fuel issue,partially plugged fuel filter ?how much fuel didi you have when off road?
its not a healthy to disconnect the battery with engine running,could ruin your alt,from what i hear any way ,anyone heard different

jray73
12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I had a full tank of fuel at the time of engine death. When on the slope the engine would start but the engine would barely run, as if no fuel was getting to the injectors. It would run for 3-5 seconds then die. I have had a similar problem before with a carberated vehicle where the floats were a problem. Other than the check engine light staying on the vehicle runs fine on flat ground. As soon as we pulled the car to flat ground it ran perfect

As far as the alternator issue all american vehicles that I have worked on always run with the positive lead diconnected while the engine is running. I'm guessing it's a rover thing that the positive lead needs to be connected at all times??

another question, do these things have electric fuel pumps or mechanical??

Rod Turnbull
12-13-2006, 12:56 PM
The Rover is not any different than the other American cars you have worked on... You can take the battery out and punt it down the driveway while the vehicle is running, if it stops running, Yes you have problems someplace, the alternator should have plenty of power to keep it running.

Rod Turnbull
12-13-2006, 01:01 PM
This may sound dumb, but is your battery bolted down? Or is it possible that when you put it up on an angle it tills over and shorts out and causes it to stop running? If your Rover is fuel injected, it should have an electronic fuel pump... I'm sure you see what I'm thinking.

Dubv1980
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
How about the inertia switch under the front seat. If that pops...you're not going anywhere. I might have thought you flipped over.

Chris

jray73
12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't think its the inertia switch since the car ran fine once it was on flat ground. As far as the alternator issue goes, I installed an new 100 amp alternator as well as an Optima red top battery then I drove the vehice for well over a thousand miles waiting for the battery to go down. Everything seems to be running fine other than the fact that the car dies when the positive lead is disconnected.

singingcamel
12-14-2006, 09:36 AM
the simplest thing to do would be to change the fuel filter, if it has'nt happened again under normal conditions ,watch /wait..

jray73
12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
sounds like a good plan. thanks for the advice

JeffB
12-17-2006, 10:06 AM
It sounds electrical in nature. I was once on a pretty steep,rocky side climb and the driver's side motor mount failed. Well, that allowed the motor enough room to rotate and pull the coil wire loose!