PDA

View Full Version : Alternative fuel pump for a 2.6 SIII?

Luke
12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi All

I'm looking for a more cost effective alternative to the OE fuel pump on my 2.6 litre SIII 109. I'm finding Facet pumps on Ebay, etc that look similar and seem to have suitable flowrates but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any direct experience or knows whether the pipe fittings are common across all models?

Many thanks
Luke

J!m
12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
It may not be a bad idea to check Summit Racing for a nice Carter electric fuel pump and regulator set-up to replace the stock pump.

The six cylinder parts are quite rare now...

British Pacific Land Rovers has a vast collection of rare and extremely expensive Land-Rover parts. If you want the correct pump, check with them...

Luke
12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi J!m - many thanks for the reply. That might well be the way I end up going but it does look as though I ought to be able to find a Facet pump that will slot straight in. I'll see if I can see a part number on the old Bendix unit this evening and then have a go at cross referencing them tomorrow.

You're right about parts becoming scarce. Keeping this thing running seems to require more ingenuity and lateral thinking every year. One day I'll have to bite the bullet and change it for something else but (not unlike yourself I think...) I'm a big fan of keeping things as original as possible if only to try and avoid the incompatability gremlins. :sly:

Cheers
Luke

J!m
12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey, I'm all for originality. In fact, I still run the stock fuel pump on my series (I have re-built it however).

That's why I recommended British Northwest Land-Rover (I made a mistake last time I suggested British Pacific- I'm not sure of their stock actually) BNLR is VERY expensive, but I'm sure he will have the correct pump, likely NOS as well... Just be sure to be sitting down when you get the quote...

Luke
12-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Ha ha - I've a feeling I know what that quote will be. In fact our hosts do list the OE pump - $414. Hence my question!!!!

There's not much info out there but it looks like Facet now build the Bendix pumps as they seem to get listed as "Facet(Bendix)" and visually there's little difference. The big difference is the price!!! I'm hoping I just need to find a modern part number for one with the same specs as the original.

J!m
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
The only problem is, if the demand is not high enough, the 'new' company will just drop the pump, rather than make a new version of it....

Good luck!

singingcamel
12-11-2006, 01:45 PM
i've used carters on the last restoration on a 6 cyl. works fine. you do not have to use original here . 12 volt ,low pressure. http://singingcamel.com

Mercedesrover
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey Luke, I think I've got one for you.
There was one on a NADA 2.6 I got a few months ago.
I'm not using the orignal motor in the rebuild so I won't need it.
The pump works as this truck was running before I knocked it in the head.
$20.00 and it's your's.

By the way...Need a good spare motor?

Drop me an email.

Jim
pbs@mohawk.net

Dav1550
12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi All

I'm looking for a more cost effective alternative to the OE fuel pump on my 2.6 litre SIII 109. I'm finding Facet pumps on Ebay, etc that look similar and seem to have suitable flowrates but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any direct experience or knows whether the pipe fittings are common across all models?

Many thanks
Luke

A fuel pump for a 2.6 suffix "B" is a Facet # 476087 12v neg. and is a exact replacement in the SIII 6/cyl.

I picked one up from Chief Aircraft for there abouts $70.
http://http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/FuelSystem/FuelPumps.html

Dave

Luke
12-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Guys, many thanks for a great response! :thumb-up:

Dave - funnily enough a lot of Googling and finally some simple guesswork and I ended up ordering that same Facet pump from NAPA this morning. Great to know it is indeed a straight swap, really appreciate the help.

Jim - many thanks for the offer of the pump. Looks like I've found a new one for sensible money but I am still very interested in the engine. I'm sending you an email...

Cheers!
Luke