PDA

View Full Version : More Power

devin500
06-05-2008, 11:45 PM
i got a 94 defender 90 3.9, and i want more power. right now i have the nrp exhuast system. i made a list of things i'm going to buy to get more power.

k&n filter
swap nrp muffler to flowmaster super 44
high flow cats

anyone have any other options or oppinions

CliftonRover
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
you could get a hotter spark with a better coil and you could cam the motor and then run hedders to dual exhaust all the way back. there is a company northwest british or something over there that builds the rover v8s.

rover4x4
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
try a hotter cam and a 4.2 ECU

David Hatfield
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
i got a 94 defender 90 3.9, and i want more power. right now i have the nrp exhuast system. i made a list of things i'm going to buy to get more power.

k&n filter
high flow cats

Just put NRP SS high flow cats with their SS exhaust and feel about a 10% increase in power over the old Flowmaster 44's I took off.

The Flowmaster 44's were so loud thai I counld not hear my self think.

lapp172
08-31-2008, 04:24 PM
You could do a motor swap to a 4.6L Chevy Vortech, Scotty's makes the adapter and it is supposedly common place down under.

Terrys
08-31-2008, 05:00 PM

k&n filter
high flow cats

None of the three things you listed will give you any noticable (if ANY at all) improvement. In fact the NRP muffler is a vast improvement over the Land Rover muffler.
There are a few available cams, but anything with an increased lift requires head trepanning and even roller rockers.
A 14CUX ecu is a 14CUX ecu is a 14 CUX ecu. Same whether 3.9 or 4.2. There are several aftermarket injection computers you can spend your money on, but a plain black Lucas box is capable of fueling the engine way beyond it's needs.
The greatest improvement I was able to make was replace the 3.9 with a 4.2. The extra capacity is an increased stroke, which greatly improved low end torque. I completely rebuilt the 4.2 before going in, with a Crane cam and flat wound diesel engine springs. Duplex roller chain, machined steel sprockets. Have the block boiled and replace all freeze & gallery plugs. Replace the cam bearings. Another improvement worth it's investment is electric fans. I got a nice second hand twin motor Flexilite from Paul G, but they aren't too expensive new. Engine driven fan, in full lockup draws 10+ HP.
If you think you're going to go to NAPA or wherever, and bolt on some performance, you probably still believe in Santa Claus.