PDA

View Full Version : Front prop shaft rebuild.

kh500
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi, all.
I began to working on front prop shaft rebuild.
This is the photos from day1 - taking out prop shaft. So far so good.

http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/Prop-shaft/

This is not an instruction to follow but more of my record as I progress.
I followed other posts and articles.
Thanks to the members whom posted excellent writeups :thumb-up: and this is my contribution!.
I hope this helps to visualize from start to the end if you plan to work on it.

Click each image on the slide view to see in full size at 1200px.

I will keep this post updated as the work progress.

later,

Medic51
10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
when its time to rebuild, replace the drive shafts? I have read alot about it being part of the maintanace of the 00 Disco II.

kh500
11-20-2008, 11:02 AM
You know because one or more failed double cardon bearing (three bearings in the shaft) makes terrible squeaking noise when there is no grease left in them.

http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/cache/Discovery_2000/Prop-shaft/DSCN6323.JPG_800.jpg

http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/cache/Discovery_2000/Prop-shaft/DSCN6323.JPG_800.jpg

Hammer38
11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
If you don't catch those soon enough, they'll break at highway speed and take out the tranny case and if you're really unlucky, the right side catalyst. Can't tell you how much money I made from that issue. Down here, the A/C drains drip right onto the u-joint. Usually start to watch for them at around 45K.

Fortymiledesert
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Mine failed at about 25,000.

Warranty replaced it with a new shaft.

I had greasable u-joints installed in it immediately. Now at 80,000 miles it's still like new (greased every 5000 miles).

My truck has a 3" lift and spends about 1/3 of its life off-road.

- - - -

The original rear rotoflex is doing just fine.

LndRvrUS
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Good to know on the grease job every 5k. I just had the front shaft replaced on my a 2nd time. The OE lasted 57k and I didn't even get 20k out of the replacement. LR dealer got warranty company (Ford's extended warranty division) to replace the new one with a genuine LR part. Do the OE U-joints have the grease fittings installed on them or are they sealed? I haven't checked personally but was it listed on RN's web site as a detail for the assembly.

Fortymiledesert
01-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Good to know on the grease job every 5k. I just had the front shaft replaced on my a 2nd time. The OE lasted 57k and I didn't even get 20k out of the replacement. LR dealer got warranty company (Ford's extended warranty division) to replace the new one with a genuine LR part. Do the OE U-joints have the grease fittings installed on them or are they sealed? I haven't checked personally but was it listed on RN's web site as a detail for the assembly.

The oem joints are not serviceable - You should take it to a driveline shop and have joints with zerks installed.

JimKellyfan
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I would love to buy front and rears and do myself.

They would be a hot seller I am sure ( hint, hint if big brother is watching )

Driveline shops can do it, and so can we if we could buy 'em.