PDA

View Full Version : 2000 P38 Not Starting

Andy46
07-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey, I’ve been on here awhile and I’ve always gotten very accurate and reliable help so here I go again. I have a 2000 P38 that’s not starting anymore. When I turn the key, nothing, not even the “click click” :confused: . I was told that it could be the alternator or starter but in general, I thought there is usually sometime before when you start to realize they’re going bad. This happened all of a sudden. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or has any idea what it could be? Thank you :)

Les Parker
07-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Do the dash lights come on when the ignition key is turned?
All the lights work OK?
Check the battery/power connection down at the starter and where the switched power is on the solenoid, they may have worked loose/corroded.

Andy46
07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
All lights are functional. I've checked the battery life and its close to 95%. A few people told me that it's probably an electrical issue dealing with the fuses but I wasn't sure. :confused:

Andy46
07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I am very willing to offer $$ in exchange for useful information that helps with my situation. If you are able to tell me (based on your extensive knowledge) what is wrong and what I need to do to correct it, I will compensate you for your time and knowledge.

My situation: I have a 2000 Range Rover 4.6HSE. Just recently it has stopped “working”. The battery is fine, I’m tried jumping it but to no avail. I was told that it may be fuses or the relays but have yet to purchase any because why spend more $$ if that’s not what’s wrong. If you are able to figure out that it is then you will be rewarded. When I turn the key, the engine does not turn over, I hear a “clicking” noise coming from the fuse box area. I wasn’t sure if it was the starter or alternator. Usually they gradually go bad and there are early signs that there is a problem. Nevertheless, I’m not ruling anything out. Anyway, if you have a good idea what it is, please let me know. You can email me at Andrew.Stoffer@med.navy.mil (Andrew.Stoffer@med.navy.mil) or awstoffer@email.msmary.edu (awstoffer@email.msmary.edu) and we can exchange information and I can send you $$ if you figured out the problem. :thumb-up:

DeepCoveRover
11-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Its possibly that the battery in your range is not heavy duty, and even if its 95%, it might not have enough kick to get it going, just a suggestion. Sometimes they get swapped out unfortunately if it isnt your reg mechanic

dunerunner
11-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Andy, can you jumper across the starter with a heavy screwdriver to spin the starter motor? Make sure the truck is in PARK and the hand brake is set. If the starter works, you have eliminated that.

You stated that even getting a jump from another battery doesn't help so I am eliminating the battery as well.

Have someone turn the key while you listen for the "Click" and try to isolate it. This is probably the solenoid or an auxiliary starting relay that drives the solenoid. Attach a volt meter to the starter solenoid and determine whether any battery is being applied when the key is turned.

If not, the auxiliary relay contacts could be bad or the battery connection to that relay are loose or deteriorated.

Wish I could just drive over and fix it for you!! This is more difficult! :thumb-up:

Does anyone know if the HSE has anti theft immobilization devices installed? This would seriously complicate the fix!!!

spacemutt
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Be very, very careful when jump starting these. You can fry the BCEM very easily.

This is going to sound daft, but push the car 100 yards down the road and try it. They are very prone to interference from radio/telephone masts. They will imobilise the car.

Hammer38
11-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Does the check engine light come on? If not, than it lost its security. You'll need a T4 to reset it.

pvkd
11-30-2008, 05:59 AM
What is a T4

TSR53
11-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Land Rover authorised service repair diagnostic tool "T4".

http://www.4wheeldrive.co.uk/mediaFiles/file/view/image/diagnostic/handheld%20diagnostic.jpg

also available for diagnostics is the Super Scan II by DEC. (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-14097-super-scan-ii-diagnostic-system.aspx)