PDA

View Full Version : CT Rovers

yank
08-08-2008, 09:59 AM
How many guys here live in Connecticut ? I saw another 88" in Newington last night. There seems to be alote in the area. Speekup.:thumb-up:

EASTTNROVER
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm out in Groton...

Mercedesrover
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm in Cornwall. North-west corner.

TSR53
08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
You guys want this thread moved into the proper club forum location for the Northeast?
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

enovey
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I am kind of in the middle, located in East Hartford. You already know that yank...

yoc
08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
avon,ct. might be in n.b. sat. need to go to averys.

yank
08-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Yoc, Stop by if you go to averys. My kids would love to see a Rover that works.

om617
08-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Located in N.E Connecticut. Still converting the 109 to a mercedes diesel.

JimCT
08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Deep River here, 1968 Marshall ambulance/camper.

78SeriesIII
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I here in New Milford, CT.

Cheers,

kevin-ct
08-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm in Ridgefield ct :thumb-up:

Tim Smith
08-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm in Ridgefield ct :thumb-up:Hey Kevin,
I'm your neighbor from Redding. Maybe we met at Winter Romp this year? I was in the lightweight.

I know of at least 5 other rover owners in my town but currently there is only one or two other series trucks that I'm aware of in the bunch. Not that you have to own a series truck to count. :o

The others were defender owners who just stopped by to say hello.

I also know of a good hand full of other series owners in the adjoining towns but they've yet to figure out the wonders of the interweb forums. :(

ArlowCT
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm In Stafford with a running Ser III 88" and my Father is in glastonbury with two Ser II's one running the other on it's second frame up.:) There is a guy just down the road from me with a real nice Ser I 107".

kevin-ct
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Kevin,
I'm your neighbor from Redding. Maybe we met at Winter Romp this year? I was in the lightweight.

I know of at least 5 other rover owners in my town but currently there is only one or two other series trucks that I'm aware of in the bunch. Not that you have to own a series truck to count. :o

The others were defender owners who just stopped by to say hello.

I also know of a good hand full of other series owners in the adjoining towns but they've yet to figure out the wonders of the interweb forums. :(

Hey Tim, Yes, It was a fun time at the winter romp. This year I had my 1992 RRC there. The Series stayed home! We should hook up one weekend.

Let me know when you have some free time.

Kevin

Tim Smith
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey Tim, Yes, It was a fun time at the winter romp. This year I had my 1992 RRC there. The Series stayed home! We should hook up one weekend.

Let me know when you have some free time.

KevinFree time? What is that? :D

You are welcome any time. I'm still in the middle of a rebuild of my own house. After 3 damned years! Due to one vigilante neighbor, I've yet to move in... long story. But I run a strict open door policy on my job while I'm there full time on the weekends.

Honestly, I'm there almost every weekend working on the place and you are more than welcome to stop by. Ping me through email or private chat to get the location.

Hope all is well with you too!
---
TSR53,
Can we cross post discussions? This forum should probably go over to the club section due to content but it already has a home in the series section.

Cheers!

TSR53
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Yes, I moved it over to the proper club forum and left a redirect.

rwollschlager
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
im located in mystic. i spent last summer overhauling my sIII 88 to get it road worthy.i just turned 16 and it makes one hell-of-a first car. my dad takes his 109 IIa or the sIII stage 1 v8 to work in groton regularly. eventually it would be cool to have a couple of us convoy up to events like the all metal dash event and the winter romp and what not.

Tim Smith
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
im located in mystic. i spent last summer overhauling my sIII 88 to get it road worthy.i just turned 16 and it makes one hell-of-a first car. my dad takes his 109 IIa or the sIII stage 1 v8 to work in groton regularly. eventually it would be cool to have a couple of us convoy up to events like the all metal dash event and the winter romp and what not.SIII? Ha! You have it easy. Back in my day, a SII was the first set of training wheels. Not at all the luxury ride of a SIII. :p

Had to learn double clutching from the get go. After that, pretty much every car since has been an easy drive. ;)

rwollschlager
08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
the SIII is an easier drive indeed... the plastic dash and re-located gauges make up for the lack of power steering and non-exsistent brakes.

the first time i got behind the wheel of my dads stage 1 v8 (also a SIII), the friday before memorial day, i got pulled over by a local cop because i was going slow and swerving a little... he suspected i was a drunk driver! later the officer mentioned that i should learn to drive in another vehicle, one that was better maintained and not as old as the 109. HARUMPH!

Tim Smith
08-16-2008, 11:19 PM
the SIII is an easier drive indeed... the plastic dash and re-located gauges make up for the lack of power steering and non-exsistent brakes.

the first time i got behind the wheel of my dads stage 1 v8 (also a SIII), the friday before memorial day, i got pulled over by a local cop because i was going slow and swerving a little... he suspected i was a drunk driver! later the officer mentioned that i should learn to drive in another vehicle, one that was better maintained and not as old as the 109. HARUMPH!That cop forgot a really important thing.

The constant yelling father, telling you that you were in reverse when you were going forward and in the ditch when you were not.

Have one of those in your side seat and you're probably above the law in some way.:D

Tim Smith
08-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Now that I think of it. God bless him!

rwollschlager
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
That cop forgot a really important thing.

The constant yelling father, telling you that you were in reverse when you were going forward and in the ditch when you were not.

Have one of those in your side seat and you're probably above the law in some way.:D

yea but that sort of thing builds character...or so im told. when i got pulled over all my dad could do was laugh, until he accidently kicked the fire extinguisher on the firewall and filled the car with dry chemicals... its the little things like these that add on top of the land rover experience

rwollschlager
08-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Tim Smith,
are you the green lightweight that used to live in mystic? i think hinkley street across from the seaport?

Tim Smith
08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Tim Smith,
are you the green lightweight that used to live in mystic? i think hinkley street across from the seaport?Nope, not me. Never had the pleasure of living in Mystic.

rwollschlager
08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
then there might be more lightweights in ct than i thought... hahaha

Yabo
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm in RI, but only about 10 min from Putnam CT, if that counts!

Tim Smith
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I hereby move to accept Yabo into the CT rovers forum.
Do I hear a second?
:D

yank
08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
I'll second that, I still think there is more!

rwollschlager
08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll second that, I still think there is more!

there is still way more out there... it just a matter of time before they find this forum...
naming a couple of guys off of my head i've known all my life:
Mark -North Branford - 7 or 8 (complete.. not neccesarily running) series trucks including a 101 gs
Dave -Lebanon a AA yellow bug eye.. Dave used to be the president and possibly founder of yankee rovers, a CT based Land Rover club, but since then it has disbanded....
Gene - ive seen him driving in montville/waterford area in his white nas 90 he also has a sII 88, I catch up with him once a year at british by the sea
Rj- North Stonington- 72 SIII, and maybe a disco....

- a couple of years ago we sold a SIIa 88 to a guy in new london but i havent seen it on the road since...
-just over the RI border in hope valley is John, a fellow with a red SII 88 and blue 200 tdi 90

those are just the ones i know, but almost everyday i drive my land rover around town i meet someone new who owns a land rover or has previously owned one.

rwollschlager
08-30-2008, 08:27 AM
any body heading up to the "all metal dash" event in late september?

Terrys
08-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Probably. I only went for one of the three days last year, but it was good. It's a good bunch of folk, not a bunch of those going around saying "Oooh, that's not right" and such things. (they would go into overload at a Land Rover meet. There's never been a better vehicle for owners to mod, personalize and add to.)

Tim Smith
09-01-2008, 09:07 AM
any body heading up to the "all metal dash" event in late september?Thinking about it but not sure yet.

rwollschlager
09-06-2008, 02:09 PM
i'll be there on saturday for sure....but whether or not i'll be in a series rover is still up in the air.

Gelliott
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I have an 88 SIIA H. I just finished the frame work, I have a hardtop for her. I just need to put in a new wire harness and radiator in her. Then she is going to be put up for sale. She runs good. It was a fun project. I will get some pics up of the frame. You can see some old one in a previous posting I had.

CliftonRover
09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I am in killingworth CT. I do restorations on the side while I am at Union college. My dad is also into rovers.

Luke
09-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Suppose I should put my hand up. Marine Blue 109 in Bethel, CT. Near neighbour of Tim Smith in Redding.

We were idly musing the possibility of a series meet up somewhere local. Nothing major - just park up, have a burger and root beer and poke around each others Rovers. There is a great 1950s style diner in Bethel called the Sycamore (on route 53, route 302 junction) which would be a nice venue for an evening.... (they do cruise nights for old cars in the summer). Anyone interested?

Cheers
Luke

Luke
09-11-2008, 07:51 AM
...or anywhere else for that matter... :thumb-up:

Tim Smith
09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Mmm, the Sycamore. :D

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/405.jpg

This might want a new thread. Maybe under the events category.

rwollschlager
09-11-2008, 06:21 PM
i would definatly be up for a get together of CT rovers.

Tim Smith
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Luke,
Do you know when they do their cruise nights? I don't know what night would be best for a burger and a gander.

I'd say that we should do something next week. Just an informal hang out sort of thing. No big deal if folks make it or miss it.

Of course, this means I'll have to find the couple of gears I lost in the rover. Don't want to be driving down in 2nd gear only... :mad:

Tim Smith
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Forum Moderator.
Is there a section in the forums for events? I thought there was one but can't find it now.

Cheers!

Luke
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Tim

Every Saturday through September - 6pm to 9pm. If you're any sort of petrol head it's a lot of fun and they get a good mix of vehicles from old pickups to hotrods. Busy though.

I was wondering if we ought to try later in the year? Maybe October? We wouldn't be fighting for parking and I'm sure the Sycamore itself would be more than happy to prolong their 'season' a bit longer. And there's something about Fall and Land Rovers that just seems right... and you could fix your gears! :thumb-up:

Cheers
Luke

Tim Smith
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Sounds good to me Luke.

Maybe by then I will have found the events section. :p

alligatorfoot
10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Sounds good to me Luke.

Maybe by then I will have found the events section. :p

Guys, count me in. I am at the bottom of rt 7 and the Merritt. Probaby can ask for more advice than I could give but it would be great to link up.

TSR53
10-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Forum Moderator.
Is there a section in the forums for events? I thought there was one but can't find it now.

Cheers! Hi Tim, you're good to go for posting here in the local CT forum. There is a specific events forum here >> http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Philster
11-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a white '94 D90 in Es***. It has either no top (May 1 to Nov 1) or a soft top.

Philster
11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I have a white '94 D90 in Es***. It has either no top (May 1 to Nov 1) or a soft top.

I can't get the name of the town to display because it ends with a non-family friendly act. It's a nice town on the Ct River and probably there is not much S** going on.

rirover1
11-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

TSR53
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I can't get the name of the town to display because it ends with a non-family friendly act. It's a nice town on the Ct River and probably there is not much S** going on.

This censorship has been updated. There is also an Essex, Vermont

j visci
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Checking in from The Valley area. '04 DII owner. Mild mods. Always interested in getting out on the weekends if anyone is around.

-Jim

rwollschlager
11-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Always interested in getting out on the weekends if anyone is around.

What about the weekend after thanksgiving?? http://roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23778#post23778

j visci
11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I was planning on heading over either Saturday or Sunday morning. Is anyone meeting up beforehand either day?

CliftonRover
11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
we will be starting friday at noonish and continuing until sunday afternoon.

Terrys
11-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Here are some random pics I took at Forrest Clifton's meet. I hope those of you who were there and don't see a picture of your truck don't feel too dissed. It was very rough walking terrain, so getting from one spot to another wasn't all joy.
The pics somehow loaded in reverse order from the sequence that they were taken in, but take particular not of the bent pelican hook, and the damage on the tailgate of Forrest's Rangie. He was using a kenetic rope and the hook just bent open. The kenetic rope collapse with an unbelievable amount of energy and hit the tailgate with enough force to not just dent the skin, but completely bukle the tailgate. After it happened, everyone took better care of where they were during winching and such. There were many youngsters around, and fortunately they were well clear.
Matt Browne and swamp **** were one of the very few, if not the only one to get to the top of the ledge, nit surprising when you look at the truck and know of his reputation. I was happy to finally get a look at Kevin's diesel .
Thanks CliftonRover for hosting the event. The WX on saturday was cold but clear and dry, but even still, the groundwas pretty slick at the top of the hill. Did you guys ever get back for the hotdogs?

Here's the link to my Photobucket.
http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/onetenterry/

rwollschlager
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
yea it was an awesome event. I did not make it down until sunday for a couple hours with the stage 1. Even the "geriatric" trails were alot fun!

Tim Smith
11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I couldn't make it. Just couldn't do it. :(

Glad to hear that the event seemed to be a success though.

CliftonRover
11-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I believe everyone had a great time, I was glad to have everyone down, and I believe the worst damage that occured all weekend was tailgate, so nothing too devistating occured.

rwollschlager
12-01-2008, 04:01 PM
here are my pics from sunday http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=63207&l=cc121&id=646291885

i took as many as i could before my phone died

j visci
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Saw a green D1 with what appeared to be a 2" lift and some 245/75/16 going south on 91 Saturday morning. Anyone on here? I was northbound in my DII w/ a group of jeeps.

Bertha
12-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Mmm, the Sycamore. :D

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/405.jpg

This might want a new thread. Maybe under the events category.

I love the Sycamore-when are we meeting there?

Tim Smith
12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I love the Sycamore-when are we meeting there?Funny. Luke and I happened into each other just a few days ago and got to talking about this. Didn't come up with anything solid though.

I wonder what would be best. An evening meet up during the week or a lunch time meet up on the weekend. I'm thinking Sunday lunch.

Would there be any interest in this Sunday for burgers, pops and a little bit of Rovers on the side? Maybe next Sunday to gather folks together.

If anyone is interested in a meet up then feel free to ping me at smithco1@gmail.com (yeah my spam filter is that good).

Cheers,
Tim

rwollschlager
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Pulling in to the shell station in mystic i glance out the side window only to see another series rover pulling in right behind me!

I talked with the owner (err one of them... the mrs. was filling it up today) and she and her husband bought it in massachusettes and drove it back down here where it will stay. The truck is a nice restored 72' series III 88, so i couldnt resist a photo of it next to my all original 72' series III 88 with lots of dents and patina. I left her my number and hopefully we might see them on the forum soon!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1822811&l=2bf92&id=646291885

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1822812&l=ed141&id=646291885

SafeAirOne
01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
...i couldnt resist a photo of it next to my all original 72' series III 88 with lots of dents and patina.

Is that a bungee cord holding your rear door shut? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you...) :D

rwollschlager
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
yessir. This summer was the first time i fitted a tailgate up and i thought the door latch had to come off (i was wrong, of course) So i took it off and lost it.... It will turn up in the summer when im putting the tailgate back on i bet. But until then I use the bungee because i dont feel like shelling out $40 for a new one.

rwollschlager
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
hey i just spotted this... http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1130098988.html is this anyone's on here or has anyone seen it?

j visci
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Anyone around have some 16" OE Series steel wheels they are looking to unload(for cheap :D)?

Looking to fit them to my RRC. No need to match or be in great shape since I will refinish them in the body color.

-Jim

Mods please delete if this violates forum rules....