PDA

View Full Version : gearbox filter

donkshophorse
12-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello folks, had a problem today and thought some of you may have some advice for me.

today i changed the fluid in my automatic gearbox. i had intended to change the filter too but hit a couple of problems. two years ago, when i did change the filter and fluid, i only had to move a cross member to get the sump off the gearobx. since then i've had a stainless steel exhaust fitted and it is in the way as well. bottom line is that after many hours (about 5) of hassle i gave up. i put the sump back on, the cross member back in place (that was a mighty big fuss, it enjoyed being free and did not want to go back in!) and reattached the exhaust. It was the biggest stumbling block as i couldn't get off the y-piece without dropping the headers and i didn't fancy that.

so after my rambling above the question is how important is it to change that filter every two years. I do not do huge mileage in the vehicle and it's done about 90,000 miles.

1990 range rover v8 automatic running on lpg

Rod Turnbull
12-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Your suppose to change the fluid? :eek: I'll let you know when mine dies. LOL... I've only had it for a few years, but by the looks of it, I'd be lucky if the previous owner did anything more than top fluids up, never mind changing filters.

Every time the exhaust need work or replacement, change the filter... not an expert opinion... but probably the way I would handle it. :sly:

Rod

singingcamel
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
change the fld. every three years is just fine depending on the miles you drive as well as the conitions on which you drive.
keep a eye on it tho,
i would change the filter evey 20 k. marc

donkshophorse
12-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Many thanks to you both for your advice. Happy New Year! Paul