PDA

View Full Version : Transfer gearbox gasket leaking

JohnMc64
10-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Whats the best way to seal the plate on the TG?

I've tried liquid gasket but it leaked. Removed the liquid gasket and then tried a rubber gasket but that leaks too.

Should I use a cork gasket?

I've made sure both surfaces are clean. Does not seem to have an pitting or scratches around the plate surface. My best guess is that the leaks are coming from the bolt thread holes. Should I use locktite on them?

Les Parker
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Have you checked for warpage?
I would try the thread sealer and ritestuff either side of the paper gasket.

JohnMc64
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Les.

I did verify that the plate was not warped. Can't say enough about hand tightening those bolts in a 'balanced' fashion to prevent warpage. Small steps and less mistakes.

I tried your suggestion of locktite on the threads and it worked! No more leakage. I was told to check the bolts a few days later to make sure they are snug BUT I think I'll leave them alone. I don't want to break the seal that seems to be working.

Thanks again.

Thaniel
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Are you positive the leak is from the plate. Mine appeared to be seeping from there but when I had it out of the truck it was actually leaking at the seal between the transfer case and transmission and running down then wetting the plate.

Just a thought.

Hammer38
11-25-2008, 09:38 PM
If you got the means to get the t-box out of the vehicle, I'd replace all the seals & reseal the gear housings w/Right Stuff.