PDA

View Full Version : Full syncros in a IIa trans?

BackInA88
12-30-2006, 10:41 AM
"Full syncros in a IIa trans?"

Someone mentioned doing this in another thread instead of swapping to a Series III trans.
I like this idea.:thumb-up: Since I need to replaces seals and such already.

Are there kits available to do this or do I have to just start ordering the parts I think I need? If the later is the case I would just get a rebuilt Series III trans. As I am not going to guess.

Thanks,
Steve

J!m
01-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I have the syncro-less IIa tranny with no problems.

I can double-clutch, but have found it does not shift any easier than if I don't, so most of the time I don't bother. I have also found that if you 'throw' it into gear, rather than 'baby' it into gear, it tends to grind less.

If the revs are "right" and the technique is firm, but not abusive, it goes in easily, if not, well we all know that sound...

I suppose if this is your only manual shift vehicle, it might be a problem to get the technique just right. Personally, I think double-clutching has become a lost art, and should be preserved for our grand-children!

Les Parker
01-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Ref the synchro tranny, RN sells either a "bolt in" fully synchro trans with t box (607125RS) for $2157.85, or a Ser III trans/t.box (RNC495)for $1895.00.
You could elect to swap your bell housing/clutch throw out from your IIa to the Series III gearbox, thus you would have all the advantages from the Series III, full synchro and better reverse gear. All avail from our hosts.
Les

BackInA88
01-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Ref the synchro tranny, RN sells either a "bolt in" fully synchro trans with t box (607125RS) for $2157.85, or a Ser III trans/t.box (RNC495)for $1895.00.
You could elect to swap your bell housing/clutch throw out from your IIa to the Series III gearbox, thus you would have all the advantages from the Series III, full synchro and better reverse gear. All avail from our hosts.
Les

Les,

Are the Series III boxes RN offers the later model heavier duty cases?
How much extra for the bell housing/clutch throw out to do the swap?
Any core deposits on either set up?
The website is a little lite on details.
Been looking into doing a R380 swap as well.
Never got the RN catalog I ordered weeks ago, been buying straight off the site.
You can email me at slouzon@gmail.com if you prefer.

Thanks
Steve

KevinNY
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
If you swap in a series 3 gearbox you get a lower 1st gear too which gives you a great off road crawler gear.

yorker
01-03-2007, 08:21 AM
If you swap in a series 3 gearbox you get a lower 1st gear too which gives you a great off road crawler gear.

I think the difference is only .08 between the IIa and III tranny 1st gear. it is a difference but not really huge.

I don't really think there is a significant advantage to upgrading to an all synchro box unless the original parts you need are no longer available.

Luke
01-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Personally, I think double-clutching has become a lost art, and should be preserved for our grand-children!

Absolutely. I still double-de-clutch my SIII box out of habit and because it's smoother if you get it right. Also useful if your master or slave clutch cylinder goes belly-up and you need to limp home without a clutch at all. Amazing how easy this is if you get the revs right.

Cheers
Luke

LaneRover
01-03-2007, 09:00 AM
The only reason you absolutely need a clutch is to start from a standstill. I find that shifting my Rovers (non-synchro 1st +2nd IIA's) is easiest without the clutch. Once you get the timing right (it might take a few times) the rover slips right into gear with no grinding at all. Downshifting does take a bit more practice with the non-synchro gears but is no problem downshifting into 3rd.

Brent

BackInA88
01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I think the difference is only .08 between the IIa and III tranny 1st gear. it is a difference but not really huge.

I don't really think there is a significant advantage to upgrading to an all synchro box unless the original parts you need are no longer available.

Not much difference for 1st gear but reverse! WOW!:thumb-up:
http://users.mrbean.net.au/%7Erover/gearbox,.htm

I can either upgrade it now while I still have a good working 2a box or after my wife wipes out the 2nd gear and have to replace it and have a boat anchor laying in my garage. :D

Thanks for your input guys.

yorker
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Not much difference for 1st gear but reverse! WOW!:thumb-up:
http://users.mrbean.net.au/%7Erover/gearbox,.htm

Ha! yeah that is apparently true, too bad that wasn't the 1st gear...

Jazzop
01-04-2007, 04:23 AM
While you are at it, why not get some airbags? Add a keyless alarm and door lock system with auto start? Or replace the whole drivetrain with an automatic transmission with downhill assist?

Maybe you picked the wrong SUV. Run off and buy an LR3 and leave the classic vehicles to those who appreciate them.

BackInA88
01-04-2007, 05:16 AM
While you are at it, why not get some airbags? Add a keyless alarm and door lock system with auto start? Or replace the whole drivetrain with an automatic transmission with downhill assist?

Maybe you picked the wrong SUV. Run off and buy an LR3 and leave the classic vehicles to those who appreciate them.

Like I said I just want to avoid any damage my wife WILL cause, it is just a matter of time.:eek:
Anything that I do change I keep all the original parts so it can always be switched back.
If I change to parabolic springs and new shocks does this also make me a pantie waist?
Maybe I should leave the old cracking wiring alone as well as this is also part of owning a "classic"?
Why is does it always seem to be newbie's that sign up to a forum and talk out their butts.
Sorry you have been on the site a month longer than me. :D
To me making the vehicle even more dependable and comfortable is part of the fun. You do what you want with your rig and I will do what I want with mine. Unless my mods are so offensive? Maybe you want to buy mine off me to prevent my desecration?

FOR SALE: Rust Free Arizona 71 IIa model 88 67000 miles.
ONLY $14,000 usd

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/LandRover.jpg

J!m
01-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Fourteen grand seems reasonable.

I'm considering selling my '71 (Trans-African expedition 2001) and I can assure you it will have a price tag much higher than 14K...

Anyone who wants a '71 shoud grab his!

yorker
01-04-2007, 07:34 AM

WTF where did this come from? All he wants to do is change the tranny- it isn't as though he is putting a 454, TH400 and 14 bolt under a Tucker or something really rare... It is his truck and he can do what he wants with it. Get over it, if you don't approve of his plans move on, don't $hit on his thread here. You must really love TAW's 109 or Mercedes Jim's 88...:eek:

I see plenty of series trucks with mods I don't like but I haven't appointed myself the Rover modification god. If I want to see something preserved I buy it- those trucks that are beyond my control are none of my business. Sure it would be easier to teach his wife to double clutch and stick with a SIIa tranny but if he wants synchros and is willing to pay for it then why not?!?

BackInA88
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you for your support and understanding.
I really don't care what he thinks.
I have been on another vehicle forum for 7 years and it is always the newbie's that always have something useless to say.
Just trying to get their post count up I guess.:nono:

Jazzop
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
I apologize for the flame. I had just gotten out of an argument with someone else and took it out on you-- not cool on my part.

Everyone on here is a newbie, since they redesigned the boards. I was on the old RN BBS for about 6 years.