PDA

View Full Version : Sport Mode

akrockhound
11-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I always thought this was normal - namely that I can't tell any difference in the shift pattern of my two Disco's whether the sport mode is on or off.

The green "S" light comes on but it does not seem to make any difference in how the trucks shift.

Recently i read an old thread where these guys were saying their trucks acted as if they only weighed half as much and they rocketed around in sport mode.

Is sport mode working for me? if the lights are on (both vehicles) could there still be something wrong that prevents it from taking effect in the transmission?

Rineheitzgabot
11-11-2008, 06:59 AM
I believe that the only difference between "Sport" and "non", is the duration at which the tranny will stay in the first two gears; maybe only first gear, in either case, nothing changes with the gearing.

When accelerating from a dead stop, "Sport" mode will delay the first shift, to a higher RPM than "non-sport". This allows the vehicle to reach desired speed more quickly, but with more fuel consumption, meaning less efficiency.

With all that said, I don't notice much of a difference either. I do notice a difference if I am not in "Sport", and I am in an impatient mood (although it could be my mood talking).

Neither one of my Rovers "Rocket" anywhere.

Go out and experiment with that. Try it in "Sport" and "non-sport". From a dead stop, take off, and control your RPM's in both cases, and time the first shift, from first to second gear.