PDA

View Full Version : Cat converters

spacemutt
11-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Do you need cat converters in the US? 300 Tdi models are fitted with them when new here, but you don't need to keep them on a diesel. We sell exhaust pipes that let you remove the cat giving a free-er flowing system and wondered if it was worth trying to sell them over there.

Leslie
11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
It's illegal to remove your cats in the US.

spacemutt
11-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Bugger. Oh well. That's answered that. :p

CliftonRover
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think the trucks with diesel conversions here even use cats, I didn't

spacemutt
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Don't you get diesel fitted as standard?

Over here they came in Tdi or V8 options.

Leslie
11-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Diesel Rovers haven't been imported to the US. At least, not by Land Rover.

Buddy
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Do you need cat converters in the US? 300 Tdi models are fitted with them when new here, but you don't need to keep them on a diesel. We sell exhaust pipes that let you remove the cat giving a free-er flowing system and wondered if it was worth trying to sell them over there.

I don't think you would have much of a market for these unless you manage to attach the 300 TDI to it before shipping it over. :D For some crazy reason they won't import the diesel version of the LR. Even VW barely brings in any diesels.

But you probably would have a market for importing cheap LR diesel conversions if you really wanted to expand into the US market.

SGFMORover
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
illegal to remove cats and depending on your state a BIG fine if a shop is caught doing it; also states that require inspections for licensing make the inspectors check and reject if they're missing (used to do inspections). lot of people will pull them and weld the cover back around the pipe to give the illusion; still illegal but works.

side note

really hard to make LR diesels 50 state legal; less emissions technically but the particulates are too large to pass emissions standards for a passenger vehicle in cali and a couple others. idiotically strict laws in a couple states keep it from being practical to import them basicaly. so why import somethin that you can't sell in a couple of key markets; plus diesels have an unfair bad-wrap in the states.

personally i'd kill to make mine a diesel!

spacemutt
02-15-2009, 03:19 AM
I run both V8s and smelly diesels. The V8s are lovely on the road but smelly DIEsels are far better off road and in the wet.

BGGB
02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
illegal to remove, but on my dads 91 rr we just drilled out the gunk on the inside because it was blocking up. creates a smoother flow and no body can tell.