PDA

View Full Version : More electrical problems

sealily333
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi-I own a 95 Discovery I. Back in the summer I had some work done-head gaskets and new battery. I drove until the end of September without any problems. I used my other car for four days and returned to the Disco and it would not start. It would respond with a jump start where I promptly brought it to my mechanic. There it languished for five weeks, (I think he was afraid of electrical problems with it). He replaced the battery and I was good for about two weeks. It would not start this past Saturday-it would start with a jump start-I drove it to work (about 40 miles). Once I got of work (nine hours later) battery dead, dead, dead. The alternator was rebuilt about five thousand miles ago. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help you can give. I live in Antrim, NH and work in Nashua, NH. The man I use for mechanical issues is very honest and fair but not used to working on LandRovers. I refuse to return to the dealer so I am a bit stuck here. Thanks, Lianne

Hammer38
12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Alternator rebuild? Could've used an old diode bridge. Maybe check for loose belt or excessive corrosion on the positive cable. Hell, check the tightness of the cables, you never know. Another question would be have you installed any after market accessories? Parasitic draw can kill a battery quick.

sealily333
12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Alternator rebuild? Could've used an old diode bridge. Maybe check for loose belt or excessive corrosion on the positive cable. Hell, check the tightness of the cables, you never know. Another question would be have you installed any after market accessories? Parasitic draw can kill a battery quick.

Thanks for the response-no, nothing aftermarket. There must be some electrical issues going on-when I open the door the interior lights will not go on....but if the door is opened while the engine is running the interior lights will go on then. :confused:

SGFMORover
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
i feel for ya... my 95 disco has had a world of electrical issues.... presently battery will hold out for a week sitting before i have to jump it; but i had to work up to that.

BUY A MULTIMETER (ohm and volt meter), you'll need it as long as you own your rover! Also if you don't have a copy of RAVE, i'd get one.

first check:

-grounds, they corrode fail and drain power... sounds dumb but its true.
-second check to see if anything is staying on after the key is turned off... most notably my blower was doing this, a bad relay was allowing it to stay on (or randomly turn on) after the key was shut off and at the lowest setting you hardly hear it. remembering to turn it all the way off is tough so i did this repeatedly for awhile. a pack of generic relays (less than $1 a piece online) will fix a lot. basically if the relay stays on then there's is nothing shutting everything off when the ignition is off.
-factory alarm (if applicable); had a short and was draining power at one point too.

personally my issues were caused by things getting wet (both from off road action and leaks). a good first check is to pull the cover below the glove box and the kick panel on the pass side to make sure nothing is getting corroded. windshields and sunroof drain tubes often leak down this area onto relays, alarm controller and several important grounds!

you'll find that even new batteries after 6 months-1 year of this will go bad so make sure its got a good warranty.

best idea i can give you is get good with a multimeter.... with the ignition off pull fuses one by one and test to see what is pulling power... any good auto-electric shop would do this systematically to diagnose the drain and charge $60-75/hr to do it. buy a multimeter and you can do it yourself!

oh I also had to pull the factory radio system as the amplifiers were pulling LOADS of power when turned off. one thing after another the electrics will drive ya nuts!

BUT if you test with a meter you'll find it!

i've done a lot of wiring on mine so let me know if ya have any questions!

LUCAS - PRINCE OF DARKNESS PREVAILS!!!

sealily333
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Thank you Lucas for all of the great info. My brother is also my savior with a lot of "Blackie's" issues. I just had the alternator repaired, (it was the starter that was rebuilt before). How do I get a copy of RAVE?

SGFMORover
12-20-2008, 12:20 AM
its brett actually; "Lucas" would be the one to blame for your electric issues... he's often and affectionately spoken of by rover owners... give it time and believe me you'll understand!

RAVE 3 is what you'll wanna look for (land rover shop manuals, schematics, etc) i downloaded them off a forum a few years back, do some searchin you should find them. absolute life-saver, i'll see if i can find the website they were uploaded too and link it.....

maybe we'll both get lucky and someone will know where you can download copies and post it for us! wink-wink nudge-nudge..... ANYONE?

Hammer38
12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
its brett actually; "Lucas" would be the one to blame for your electric issues... he's often and affectionately spoken of by rover owners... give it time and believe me you'll understand!

RAVE 3 is what you'll wanna look for (land rover shop manuals, schematics, etc) i downloaded them off a forum a few years back, do some searchin you should find them. absolute life-saver, i'll see if i can find the website they were uploaded too and link it.....

maybe we'll both get lucky and someone will know where you can download copies and post it for us! wink-wink nudge-nudge..... ANYONE?

Good luck. The original cd's of RAVE expired on a certain date & were never redone after GTR came out online. Our ASM gave us a copy that never expired for our computers at work, but since I no longer work there, my access is limited.;) I'll call up a buddy & see if he can copy it for me.

I'm actually considering relocating & working for another Rover dealership.They have the same ASM & FSE (who is a friend), so if I do that then I will acquire a copy if possible. SO I got my fingers crossed.

SGFMORover
12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
found it bitches!

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f16/rave-cd-29864-2.html

bout midway down is a post with links for all 3 cds!

download the iso and nero or roxio will burn the cd image for ya! :thumb-up:

if ya can't get it to work hell i'll mail ya a copy