PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Parabolics

Jim-ME
01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if Rocky Mountain uses different size u-bolts with their kits or will regular Land Rover u-bolts work?
Jim

jp-
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Their U-bolts are larger than stock Land Rover ones.

You have to slightly drill out the spring retainer plate.

Stock U-bolts will work, but why not fit the larger ones?

Jim-ME
01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I tried to order their u-bolts and they are backordered for several months. I don't want to wait that long to install the new axle assembly. Do you know what size the larger u-bolts are?
Jim

jp-
01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Just call up Ray, and tell him to get on the stick.

In the meantime, you can definitely use the Rover U-bolts.

I think the larger bolts are 1/2" and the stock Rover are just under that. (7/16??)

I Leak Oil
01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't think the original u bolts will work because the original spring pack is thicker so there isn't enough thread on the original bolts to run the nut down enough to account for the thinner RM spring pack. It's been a while since I put them on but I believe this is the case. I got mine at NAPA. I think they were 1/2" diameter, 3 1/8 inside dimension and I forger what length but should be easy enough to measure. The spring plates did have to be drilled out to accomodate the 1/2" diameter u bolts. I'm surprised Ray can't get them any sooner.....
Jason T.

yorker
01-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I always just get mine made up locally. Usually a carquest place or something like that. they can make whatever diameter and thread length I want usually and it costs something cheap.:thumb-up: No real need to order anything from anyone.

jp-
01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't think the original u bolts will work because the original spring pack is thicker so there isn't enough thread on the original bolts to run the nut down enough to account for the thinner RM spring pack. It's been a while since I put them on but I believe this is the case. I got mine at NAPA. I think they were 1/2" diameter, 3 1/8 inside dimension and I forger what length but should be easy enough to measure. The spring plates did have to be drilled out to accomodate the 1/2" diameter u bolts. I'm surprised Ray can't get them any sooner.....
Jason T.

Good call Jason,

I forgot about the thickness difference.