PDA

View Full Version : Emissions failure...

Dubv1980
01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok folks, I'm looking for direction...
My '91 Hunter failed emissions today...it was way over in both categories. The engine is running fine...no check engine lights or anything. The cats aren't rattling and have been replaced within the past 50,000 miles. Oxygen sensors were replaced within the past 25,000 miles. Any ideas? Having replaced the cats and oxygen sensors doesn't preclude them I guess, but anyone have any other ideas? Let me know-

Chris

'91 Range Rover Hunter
'73 Series III
'74 MG BGT

fruitpunch
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Hmmm in Queens, NY there is a guy who will pass anything for a handshake.... must have someone like that in VA also. The list of parts to change could get very long.

leadoff
01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think any 1990 make or model could pass the VA Emissions Inspection -- the parameter they added around 1998 is too wicked. Now your Hunter's failure is public record for the CarFax folks. When I lived there only the dealerships would squeak you through. How much money do you need to spend improving it to get a sticker?

Dubv1980
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
The current rate is 680 bucks apparently. Which, given the value of a '91 Range Rover classic..is a lot of money. I love the truck...but, its a lot of money to dump into a truck with 190,000+ miles...argh.

Rod Turnbull
01-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Can you spend that money on anything that you think may improve the emissions? I hear putting things on like winches and roof racks help. LOL

Seriously, is there anything you could upgrade, that could be moved to another vehicle? or actually increase the value... maybe a stainless exhaust system or something.

Rod

leadoff
01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
$680 that has to be spent at a dealer or service. My point is that the VA ET is so stringent you'd have to spend the $680 on any car built before 1995. I believe you could replace the entire exhaust system on your Hunter and it still wouldn't pass both parameters.

I'd make an appointment at Alexandria RR and stew on it during the 3 weeks it takes to get your RR in.

My recollection is that the 2-parameter test is only required in NoVa, perhaps only in Fairfax County. This might make it easier to sell your truck outstate -- now that you have the Black Sticker, it will be tough to unload locally if that's the route you choose to take.

TJ in KC
1990 RR County

Dubv1980
01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Ok, after looking over various parts..and getting some advice from some Rover knowledgable mechanic folks. The hoses and the T piece coming off the plenum are clogged with grease/gunk/crud. The hoses are also severely dry rotted, so I've ordered some new hoses, and I also picked up a set of new spark plugs and threw a can of BG44k in it. We'll see if this does the trick...the totally clogged hoses could be what was doing me in...and ideally the new plugs (ones in there are probably 50,000+ miles old) will get me enough improvement to pass. I passed two years ago without any trouble..so we'll see. Also, emissions are required in Northern VA in Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford, and Arlington counties...for those who were curious! Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Chris

Dubv1980
01-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Took the Rover for its follow up emissions test this morning before work...it passed. WHEW! New air filter, new plugs, replaced clogged hoses from plenum to flame trap, and a can of BG44k...good for another two years.

Chris