PDA

View Full Version : 200 tdi not starting

CliftonRover
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi my dad took our 109 out last weekend, it had been sitting a while as it needed a new starter, but after driving on the highway for a couple hours he stopped for fuel or something. when he went to start the truck again he had to crank it for a while. normally it fires right up. It was not cranking slowly or anything. my guess was that the fuel shut off on the injector pump was poorly connected so it too a while to open. He said that he thought he overheated though. I put the 200 tdi in the truck 3 years ago, and found that I did not need to run a cooling fan, the truck sits at 180 degrees all day no matter what. so naturally the cheap parts store temp gauge broke a few months ago so I have been driving it with no temp gauge, but without worry.

Anyone have much experience with the 200?

Les Parker
04-08-2009, 08:23 AM
The fuel shut-off valve is either open or closed, so the probable cause is a bad connection, either at the switch end or on the solenoid.
The 200's are reknowned for running "cool", though a water temp guage is always a good idea.
Is the veh. starting OK now?
If I recall, you have just fitted a new starter, so are all the connections with starter and alt. good?

CliftonRover
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
the truck seemed to be starting fine since then, I will likely rewire the whole engine bay, there were so many additions to the wiring like power seats, elecrtic fan, glow plugs,lights, etc... that were done before I had learned to wire neatly they are starting to cause problems. thanks Les

Les Parker
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Glad to learn the new Proline starter worked out well for you.
Hmm, let us know how the re-wiring goes, I know with the 300 Tdi engine bay its easy to lose sight of where all the wires come from and go. I need to tag them so I can remember if I disturb any components in the future.

CliftonRover
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
the starter says bosch on it, but yes it works very well. I have been stranded after checking oil or something, when the solenoid starting wire fell off. It is almost impossible to reach (especially when hot) in a series engine bay.