PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Line-X to paint the entire truck?

zebrarover
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I live in South Texas and have seen several jeeps and pick-ups which were painted with Line-X on the inside and out. It appears to leave a fairly nice finish.

Needless to say, my body panels are a little less than showroom quality and I was thinking of using line-x on it instead of paying someone to repaint the entire truck. The other option I've though of is just rustoleum. As you can see from my thumbnail pic, the truck is currently in zebra stripes which was done by a PO with housepaints :)

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth

SIIA109
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I have had trucks undercoated with Line-X and of course pick-up beds, and this was due to living in the Northeast and the winter beating everything takes make this a good expence of money.

But you're in Texas? right? I dont think you need that level of protection on the entire rig. Furthermore it has some depth to it and I'm not clear how this would work around hinges, door openings, etc.

Then what happens if you crunch a fender? You can't just pound it out and bondo it - this stuff needs to be baked on, so is that worth losing the truck for a day while the fender is off at the shop?

my 2cent.

zebrarover
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I talked with a mechanic friend of mine today and he agreed with the above post. I do live in Texas, but I'm 30 miles from the coast and things rust here faster than you would believe. I'm trying to find a good way to slow the rust down. I've thought about por 15 for the chassis and bulkhead. Just looking at options.
seth

enovey
01-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Por 15 is a good idea, but if you are going to go so far as to disassemble the bulkhead and remove the body from the frame, you might as well galvanize those parts. Galvanizing the bulkhead can be done with good results. Just make sure it is allowed to air dry instead of being quenched. Then it shouldn't warp.
Good luck.

rover-r-us
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
this guy on the guns and rover page just did his http://p200.ezboard.com/fgunsandroversfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7108.topic

Jim-ME
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
ECR has used Rino-Liner on several of their project vehicles with fantastic looking results. From what I know of ECR's commitment to quality I seriously doubt that they would use Rino if it was junk. I have Armacoat ( a similar product which is applied hot ) on the bed of my pickup and have been extremely happy with it. In fact I have considered having the inside of the tub and the engine side of my bulkhead sprayed when I manage to get them rebuilt. Based on my experience and my treatment of the Armacoat I've got I'll bet that both items will more than last me the rest of my life and then some.
Jim