PDA

View Full Version : Gas in my diesel

GeoffWillis
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm sure its been asked before, but what if a well intentioned son borrowed you diesel (2.5 N/A) and decided to fill it when he brought it back. Sounds good till your son tells you he forgot to pay attention and filled it with GAS! Says it ran great till about 1/4 mile from home (less than 5 miles total), and stated missing real bad. I'm going to do the obvious, drain the tank, replace fuel filter, but what else? Thanks in advance
Geoff:o

CliftonRover
04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I would pull the injectors pour some diesel or engine oil in each cylinger with the injectors still out and then turn the key and turn the mmotor over in small bursts to relubricate the cylinder walls.

GeoffWillis
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I guess there's no way to keep from draining the battery while filling the fuel line back up? I seem to remember my series IIa had a lever on the fuel pump for just such an occurrence. Oh well, I've got a charger!
Geoff

Moose
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I think I would pull the glow plugs rather then the injectors if you are going to go that route. Then you don't need to worry about new sealing washers.

It doesn't take much cranking to fill the fuel lines back up so your battery should be fine. I would crack the fuel lines at the injectors, then crank the engine over to purge the gas out of the lines. Also remove and drain the fuel filter. Yours being a Ex-Mod truck, check behind the left rear wheel, you "may" have a fuel sedimentor there next to the fuel tank that should be drained as well.

I think you were lucky. I always heard that petrol in a diesel would cause the engine to race, causing all sorts of damage.

Brett

GeoffWillis
04-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks Moose, I like the idea of removing the glow plugs vice injectors. I had assumed that there would be crush gaskets under the injectors that would need replacement. I assume that there is nothing under the plugs?
Cracking the fuel line at the injectors sounds like a good idea to get the air out, thanks. And yes I do have the sediment bowl right by the fuel tank which I will clean out. I guess I did get lucky in that he didn't damage the engine. It seems the most difficult (And expensive) part is the proper disposal of the old fuel. Can't find anyone to take it! It may cost a couple hundred bucks to take to a recycle place. Anyway, Appreciate the help.
Geoff

KevinNY
04-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Just put the gas in your lawn mower.

I was thinking that you could remove the glow plugs and then crank it after draining the gas in order to get the gas to pool in the cylinders and then evaporate out. Then refill the truck with diesel, reinstall the plugs, and crack the injectors to purge the air.

Terrys
04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
It may cost a couple hundred bucks to take to a recycle place. Don't throw your money away. Your son should be able to determine how much diesel was on board, how much gas he put in, come up with a ratio, then just dilute it with fresh gas and use it in another car. Anything under 10% won't even smoke, or give your cats heartache. You could always give it to some hardworking yardman. He'll figure out what to do with it.

spacemutt
06-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Your 2.5 Naturally Asphyxiated should be ok. If it was a TD4 or TD5 then you'd be in trouble. Just drain the fuel system, new fuel filter, bleed the system through and it should be fine.

seaswood
06-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Geoff
As you may not want to remove injectors but it would be an ideal time to do so. Yes there is a crush washer under the injector & another at the connector if i remember right. I Did have some leakage, so be sure to use a good proper fitting wrench to tighten injectors when done.
If you are not sure of history of engine have them cleaned.:thumb-up: good luck.