PDA

View Full Version : Routine Maintenance

GeoffWillis
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Time for new oil and fluid top-off and I have some basic questions. Last time I had a Rover, Girling brake fluid was required or damage would ensue. Could somebody quickly update me on routine maintenance for an 83ish n/a diesel 110 mod? The only diesels I've owned before for vw commuter cars and any oil rated cc or cd on the can was good enough. What are people running in old diesels? Synthetics?. Anybody know what fluid goes into a RoverDrive? atf? What kind of Brake fluid?, swivil joint? Sorry for such basic questions but I'm keeping this rover till they take me to the nurseing home.
Thanks,
Geoff
btw, just installed the new badger top, will post pictures when kid shows me how.

Guinness
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
For brake/clutch fluid use Castrol GT-LMA

PDX Bolt
05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
how did you decide between a badger top and a rovers north top? Do you have photos you are willing to share?

Moose
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I wasn't sure about the brake fluid either so I am using the Castrol GT-LMA in my 110. It's the stuff I have used in the Series 3 for years so no worries there. For engine oil I use ROTELLA T Multigrade SAE 15W-40. Used it with the 2.5NA engine and now the 300Tdi. After asking around it seemed to be the oil of choice for Land Rover diesels. While Synthetic oils may be nice in a harsher environments, I don't think it is all that necessary on an older engine like the 2.5NA in comfortable temperatures. As for the oil in the Roverdrive, don't quote me on it, but I am pretty sure it runs on 90wt gear oil, same as the Fairey and Toro overdrives. A quick email to Rockey Mountain will get you the definitive answer. 90wt also for the transfer box, swivel hubs, steering box and alxes. The main gearbox, the LT77, is best served with something like Redline MTF such.

Brett

GeoffWillis
05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Short answer is I fell in love with the pictures of the badger top when I bought the rover. It got trashed in transit and I saved up my Xmas and birthday money to buy a new one. In the interum, the good folks at Red Mountain Rovers split the cost of a full length MOD Take-off. So I've got both. Don't really care for the rubberized top, but the price was right. I'll try and post these shots, hope it works!http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/3523983386/
how did you decide between a badger top and a rovers north top? Do you have photos you are willing to share?