PDA

View Full Version : What is the best winch for a Land Rover?

Dantelaterra
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Personally I have a MileMarkey 12k for my Range Rover..... But I bought it cause it was cheap, and I know little about winches, feel free to tell me what is your favorite and why, and how much is it?:thumb-up: I think we can all benefit from this

kevin-ct
05-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I also have a Mile Marker 12k on my RRC.
On my Series I have a Mile Marker 8k

CliftonRover
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
its hard to beat the reliability and speed of a Warn 8274. I have one of the first versions of this called that warn took from Bellvue (not sure on spelling) winch company. it sat in a field for 20+ years, I mounted it on my truck and plugged it in and it worked. it is also entirely cable actuated so there are no solenoids.
I also have a warn M8000 that needs a new motor, but worked well for a long time.
My main winch is a Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic that works great, I set up a separate hydraulic pump and plow valving with cable actuation so there are no electronics. with the correct pump it pulls fast too.

Dantelaterra
05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Glad to hear more people knew about the MileMarker's.. I love my 12k, but, why are Warn Winches so expensive? I could only assume that they are using more expensive parts because they seem to price themselves out of the question most of the time

Firemanshort
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
In general, what I have found is that Warn products have a faster published line speed that many other brands - especially the Mile Markers.

Some folks I have talked to say that fast line speed is good - others say it is bad.

CliftonRover
05-27-2009, 01:26 AM
it is really rice to have a fast line speed so that when you are winching and driving you dig yourself in less, also not as frustrating.

KevinNY
05-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Some of the expensive warns do use a very good motor, the 9.5XP. It can also be retrofitted to an 8274 to make a beast of a winch. I had the original motor on my 8274 rebuilt locally and it has never let me down.