PDA

View Full Version : Legalizing a Defender 110

KJO
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a question regarding licensing and registration of a defender 110. I realize that the 1993 D110 is the only legal defender at this time in the US. However, I am looking at restoring/customizing a 110 and am not sure how to go about it so I can drive all over the US and even into Canada/ Mexico without getting in trouble. I have been told from people that if I buy a used series and have the DOT come and look at the vin# and replace it on a new chassis, I can build my 110 as long as I register the vehicle as a series? (because a series is 25 years old) I have also been told by a company that they can build a defender on a range rover chassis (1993) as long as I register the vehicle as a 1993 range rover. I am in a serious dilemma based on concerns of licensing/ insurance etc. Thanks, KJO

Leslie
01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.skytoprover.com/roverfreedom.htm

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tableDefender110.html

a109
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Once you have sorted the legality at home you will be able to visit Canada without any trouble as visitors can operate vehicles that are compliant with their home laws provided they are safe for the road and carry liabilty insurance of at least can$2 million.

John

RoverLife
02-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Hello KJO,

I personally think you are dealing with a potential problem. So called Grey market vehicles of any sort are a potential liability. Resale is usuallly poor, especially when the real thing becomes avaiable in the next couple of years. It is just a bunch of bits not the real thing. Also people see what you are doing and the risk of being ratted out is high.

Spend your time looking fixing up a Series II for resale and then buy your 110 in a couple of years when they are legal. I live in Canada where we have a 15 year rule. I bought a nice 110 in Switzerland last year for $5,000 that had a nice easy life with the Postal Service.

Patience I hear is a virture and definitely a must for a Land Rover owner.

Roverlover
Vancouver, BC

sayers
02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Would'nt the cost of "building one " be so much ,that looking for a good 93 110 be a better bargain ?

Leslie
02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Would'nt the cost of "building one " be so much ,that looking for a good 93 110 be a better bargain ?

It depends. :rolleyes:

Since there were only 500 or so of the '93 NAS 110's, they still command a premium. I've seen them sell for as low as the mid-30's by someone who was honest and reasonable, but usually they're still going in the mid-40's to mid-50's, crazily enough. One sold at Barrett Jackson for 80k last month.

So, it depends on what skills you have, and how deep your pockets are. If you don't know how to do it, you would probably be better off finding one of the NAS 110's. But if you can weld and do auto-mechanic work, and aren't afraid of getting dirty, and have the time, you can end up with a vehicle for less than what a 110 would cost here.

I have no problem w/ the idea of rebuilding a 109 onto a coiler chassis, making it into a decent hybrid vehicle and a bit more modern than it originally was. I don't have a problem with someone stretching a 90 into a 110. But, swapping vin's is a big no-no...:nono: . Do I think it's silly that I can't go find a clean 110 in the UK that's a few years old, and bring it over? Sure... I understand wanting one for a reasonable price, but, it's not legal. :rolleyes:

Anyway.... there are ways to do things, legally, if someone has the patience, and the funding. ECR and Skytop's sites are good starting points to learn about the issues, then go from there and learn what else you can. One point I should make, a lot of things will vary from state to state, so, keep that in mind. What I couldn't do in California, I can do here in Tennessee. Knowing the differences is important, so you know what you can do versus what you can't do while keeping yourself legal.

FWIW...

Naples 90
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I have been talking to Skytops about getting my 1992 Def 90 200tdi legal and initial cost estimate is $14-20K. At the moment, i don't know if it would wise to go through the trouble (read $$$$) not to mention convincing the wife that the "noisy truck" is worth bringing back to the US.

I have no doubt that is if went through the process, I could sell the vehicle for what I would put into it if I decided to sell, but why bother? I can sell it here in Italy for the same price and it is already legal.

tcwave
06-06-2007, 08:20 AM
When will we be able to purchase new D90 or D110 in the US?

Thanks,
Ted

galen216
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
When will we be able to purchase new D90 or D110 in the US?

Thanks,
Ted

Never.

tcwave
06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't get it, we have millions of illegal immigrents sneaking into this country every year, crossing our borders and then making a living, yet we can't legally import a D90. Makes no sense. Which is a bigger problem?

Has anyone ever gotten caught shipping a d90 to the US as an "offroad" vehicle, then running it on the road somehow? If so, what was the consequence? Perhaps, this is a uninforceable law, like illegal immigration.

a109
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Several years ago now I was contacted by a lawyer in the US to help his client who had an illegal 109. The customs had siezed it from the body shop where it was being preped for paint and put an export or destroy order on it. At the same time another person contacted me for the same assistance.
I was able to recieve them in Canada and arrange a sale for the owners. They both suffered a financial loss since the market for the vehicles was much less strong in Canada.
So the answer is yes the laws are enforced so you run the risk of losing the vehicle and $$$

John

Mad_Dan_Eccles
06-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever gotten caught shipping a d90 to the US as an "offroad" vehicle, then running it on the road somehow? If so, what was the consequence? Perhaps, this is a uninforceable law, like illegal immigration.

There have been a few, but Customs are getting wise to these shenanigans - they don't even get out off the bonded store if there's any sort of problem.

The problem with this approach or the VIN swap is that if you do run it on the roads and have an accident you lose your insurance coverage - and emergency hospital care can be veeeerrrrry expensive. If that happens getting caught is likely to be among the least of your worries -any fines or vehicle destruction orders will cost you a lot less than a few nights in a ICU.

Note that the RIs have recently had problems importing 1993 vehicles. DOT now require the trucks be LHD only RHD conversions are not acceptable

- see http://www.landroverexchange.com/forum/messages/23951.html

Given all that the in my view the best thing to do is to wait for the few 1983 models to start trickling in, or consider a rebuild of a 109 to 110 spec. Remember that any '83 trucks will have spent 25 years trundling aorund on muddy lanes or winter-salted highways getting less and less maintenance and more and more rust as they were passed down the ownership chain

msggunny
06-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Note that the RIs have recently had problems importing 1993 vehicles. DOT now require the trucks be LHD only RHD conversions are not acceptable

Is that for vehicles that meet the criteria for US similar modles? Such as an overseas 93 D110 that is modded to meet US standards for that year? It doesnt apply to the 25yr and older vehicles does it?

seaswood
06-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Just do not ask Mike at ECR about importing anything but what is strictly legal.
There are shops in Mass & R.I that do.
:nono: be cautious I got a title consider it luck.

fruitpunch
08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't ask him, he seems to be just foine with his restaurations no need to overcharge for an import.....

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_defender_1105_3_15.3.1vo1297.html

Momo
08-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Right now there's a 110 on ebay that the seller claims is a rebuilt 109:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANDROVER-DEFENDER-110-TD5-COUNTY_W0QQitemZ110162943881QQihZ001QQcategoryZ318 49QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, right. Not a single series component, except maybe the Serial number plate.