PDA

View Full Version : 1994 DEFENDER 90 STARTING ISSUE

shane a
06-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a 1994 D-90 and it is having problems starting. I have had it in the local Land Rover dealer twice in the past 2 weeks. First, they said it was just a fuel pump relay switch. Changed it. Then, got it back, and it was dead, so I took it back in and they said the alternator was drawing power when off, I ordered the new alternator and they installed it. Now, it still doesn't want to start. It cranks over when turning the key, but doesn't start on the first try. It usually takes 4 times to turn the key before it will start. It cranks fine, but either seems like a fuel problem, or electrical short not allow it to start on the first try. Any suggestions of what it may be? It is also idling lower than it did before I took it in to Land Rover.

Thanks for any help.

Guinness
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a 1994 D-90 and it is having problems starting. I have had it in the local Land Rover dealer twice in the past 2 weeks. First, they said it was just a fuel pump relay switch. Changed it. Then, got it back, and it was dead, so I took it back in and they said the alternator was drawing power when off, I ordered the new alternator and they installed it. Now, it still doesn't want to start. It cranks over when turning the key, but doesn't start on the first try. It usually takes 4 times to turn the key before it will start. It cranks fine, but either seems like a fuel problem, or electrical short not allow it to start on the first try. Any suggestions of what it may be? It is also idling lower than it did before I took it in to Land Rover.

Thanks for any help.

How many miles on it?
Are you getting a spark?
Did you change the cap and rotor?

Les Parker
06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
The dealer may have adjusted the base idle, to the correct spec.
Do you know when the ignition parts (cap/rotor/plugs/wires) were last changed?
Please advise..