PDA

View Full Version : Deep Dish? wheels for series

Tim Smith
01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey, does anyone know who makes those deep dish versions of the series wheels? I've seen them on a bunch of trucks over in BC but don't know anything else about them. Curious who sells them too.

Don't have any images at the moment but will post if I can find some.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Smith
01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Ah ha!
Just found a picture and answered part of my question at the same time. He says they are 130 wide rims.

http://www.cornerstone-studios.com/jake/jake.htm

Now where can you find those?

Tim

Clive
02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Our host, RN, stocks them, but they aren't cheap....$210 a pop at my last check in year ago. In the UK Paddocks sells them for about GBP 38 each, which is about $70, but then you have shipping and they are not light....

Clive
02-01-2007, 08:59 AM
and...the part # is ANR1534PM...they were original equipment on all NAS D110s, and all High-Cap pic-ups.

Mike Koch
02-01-2007, 09:57 AM
The specs on the wheels (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2769-road-wheel-65-x-16-2-78-offset.aspx) are:

6.5" x 16", 2 7/8" offset

While these are more expensive than the standard 16" steel wheel found on Series, they really look sharp and provide a great looking stance(in my opinion).

Mike Koch

Tim Smith
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up everyone.
Now I know they are at least attainable.

Cheers,
Tim

Clive
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Agreed that they really look good on a series truck:)....and the slightly wider stance may give marginally more stability.

Luke
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
If it helps you track them down Tim, these (or certainly something very similar 6.5" wide) are often referred to as 1-ton rims. If you find a supplier for a sensible price, please let me know ;)

Cheers
Luke

Clive
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
1 ton rim = Hi-Capacity PU rim, or so i was lead to believe...

Luke
02-01-2007, 01:29 PM
My understanding too Clive.

Tim Smith
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
If it helps you track them down Tim, these (or certainly something very similar 6.5" wide) are often referred to as 1-ton rims. If you find a supplier for a sensible price, please let me know ;)

Cheers
Luke

Sure will Luke. Not seriously looking right now but would love some for the 109 project. One of these days I guess... :rolleyes:

Tim

jp-
02-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Have you thought of ANR 4636 wheels?

I have them on my 88". They are for the 7.50 x 16, or 235/85/16. They have a little more than 1" of offset, where the originals have none. They make the tires come out noticeably more, but still not enough where I have to worry about rubbing my bodywork if I hit a hard bump (or during articulation).

I got them for $60 a piece off of lrx.com, new.

Leslie
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Have you thought about Disco steelies?

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12533&d=1150392695

yorker
02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
EW! Disco Steels painted limestone? Somehow to me they just look wrong on a nicely restored Series, almost as bad as Rostyles. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/pschultz/Land%20Rover/LRWheelDimensions.jpg

They are good wide weels but you do lose turning radius with them, note the recent conversation on the LRO list on the same subject:

I made the following chart sometime in the 70's, it was for series Land Rover steel
wheels, rather than Range Rover. In those days it was not necessary to make a distinction.
It was posted to the digest in late 1994 and several times since.

SWB Short wheel base (88) LWB Long Wheel base (109) FC Forward Control (109 and 110
wb) the FC 101 wheels have 6 studs and are thus not suitable for a series, although a pal
of mine modified hundreds of them by welding in the centre of a standard swb rim to make a
FC rim. Several yeasr klater he was asked to convert several of them back!

Some military LR's were fitted with split rims, the swb's with rims the same as the standard
swb, but the 109's were fitted with a rim that was also used on another military vehicle, the
Austin Champ. These used to be plentiful in the used market when thousands of Champs were sold off.

The LD was a BMC commercial light truck that had rims with the same bolt pattern as LR, these were very popular due to the sizing for a 7-50 x 16 tyre and the offset, it significantly
improved the turning circle for a LR, very useful on the trailing scene. The advantage over the FC rim was it was 1 inch narrower on the inside and therefore less likely to rub on the springs or frame on full lock.

I should also add that these are all 16 inch wheels, I was not familiar with the 15 inch wheels until my arrival in the US in 94, until then I thought 15 inch wheels were only used on the pink panther 109's. So the chart should really be updated with the 15 inch, and some
others, did the 90's have a 5.5 rim with some more offset? the variuos alloys fitted to RR's (can be fitted to a LR if the correct wheel studs are used, but why bother, the inset is too
much for a series anyway) and off course the Disco steel wheel, the worst wheel LR ever
made, at least when fitted to a series LR. There are also a couple of aftermarket steel rims
for LR's, there was one called Mangels ( ? ) and then the American Racing which are wide and have a good offset, probably the equivalent of the LD rim.

width -------inset ------- offset-----------centre line I/O
SWB 5 4.25 0.75 1.75 I
LWB early 5.5 4.75 0.75 2 I
LWB Late 5.5 4.25 1.25 1.5 I
FC Early 6.5 3.75 2.75 .5 I
FC Late 6.5 3.25 3.25 Central
LWB Split (Champ) 5.5 4.125 1.375 1.375 I
RR Steel 6 4.5 1.5 1.5 I
LD 5.5 2.75 2.75 Central

Perhaps Frank could use this as a basis for an LRO article with the appropriate updates, but
only on condition that he sends me a copy, since I can no longer afford to subscribe.

Regards
Bill Leacock (former Limey in Exile)

What makes the Discovery steel wheels the worst???

The inset of the disco rim due in part to its width, reduces dramatically the already poor turning circle of a series Land Rover fitted with standard axles.

Regards
Bill Leacock

Keith Armstrong wrote:

> TeriAnn, aren't you still running the Disco "steel spares" on the Green

> Rover?

Yep. You do loose a little on the turning radius, which I think I

picked up again when I went to front disc brakes.

They are a rugged, nice looking wheel that lets you mount bigger tyres

than the narrower wheels do.

I just ran the numbers:

5 " wide rims stick in 3.3" from the wheel mounting surface
5.5" rims, 4.05"
6.5" rims, 4.06"
7 inch rims, 4.8"

The Disco 7 inch wide steel rims stick inwards 3/4 of an inch more than
the Wolf wheels. Which is about the width of aftermarket wheel spacers.
All we have to do is find aftermarket wheel spacers that work with
freewheel hubs.

> The offset might not make for the smallest turing circle, but the
> beadholding has proven better that the (tubeless anyway) NATO wheels in
> my experience.

I frequently run my BFG mud terrains at 20 pounds off road with no
problems. There were a couple places I needed to drop them down to 15
pounds & the beads held.

TeriAnn

FWIW, I installed the lesser internal offset new style Series wheels. It made a big
difference in the manueverability of the 109. Believe it's only a !/2" less wheel sticking
inside but took me from having to back and fill to get in most tight places to making things
in one pass.

The additional inward protrusion of the disco wheel over the old style Series Wheel can
only have a very noticable negative effect on maneuvering a 109 in tight quarters.

Aloha
Peter O.

Leslie
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
EW! Disco Steels painted limestone? Somehow to me they just look wrong on a nicely restored Series, almost as bad as Rostyles.

They are good wide weels but you do lose turning radius with them, note the recent conversation on the LRO list on the same subject:

Hey now, I like 'em! Yeah, it's different, not like all the others.

And actually, I like the Rostyles too.... but anything is better than a 3-spoke!

You've got a fair point, tho'.... a 109 doesn't have the best turning radius to begin with... I'm not hurt as bad on the 88....

Of course, I've got a rough-lookin' set of regular 16" wheels (black, what was on it when I got it), and I've got a set of 15" ones that I need to clean up, thinkin' about AT's on them for a "street" tire... but for now, the XZL's will do....

yorker
02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I like the Rostyles but NO ONE else seems to. You are the first other person I've seen admit it! ;) Overall the reason I like them is utilitarian-the fact that they can protect the lugnuts and hubs, but of course they need to be modified to fit on a series... and they do look strange on one.

I went from ~28" tires on 15" rims, I think 7.00 15s or 7.60 15s - some archaic size (h78?) to 7.50 16s on the early LWB rims on my 88. That cost me some turning radius and I really don't think I want to give up anymore via the Disco rims.

I had recommended the Disco rims to a friend of mine but now(After the LRO mailing list conversation) I'll have to tell him to reconsider- I don't think he was too wild about their non stock look anyway...

TeriAnn
02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
EW! Disco Steels painted limestone? Somehow to me they just look wrong on a nicely restored Series, almost as bad as Rostyles.

I think they look good in flat or semi gloss black though.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/KaneCreekcamp.JPG

The do seem to pick up the colour of the land though.
Camping in Kane Creek canyon, Moab

jp-
02-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Yorker,

According to your chart, the ANR4636 are 15" rims. This is incorrect. They are 16".

yorker
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Yorker,

According to your chart, the ANR4636 are 15" rims. This is incorrect. They are 16".
Thanks!

Not my chart though it was one Paul Shultz posted to the LRO list, At least I think that was who ot was:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/pschultz/Land%20Rover/LRWheelDimensions.jpg

KingSlug
02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree with TeriAnn. Black as along as it aint glossy, add some grease/oil/dirt and a bit of rust and they look fine. Plus they are heavy duty as hell (in thickness/weight and the bead lock ridge is big), let you add a bit larger tire and don't look too showy.

Here is a crappy pic of them on the amby: Taddah (http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/files/2007/02/img_0056a_edited-medium.jpg)